Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use the OEM front license plate holder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had no problem, but I don’t go through car washes with it.
Actually... with a 2018 M3 from 2018 to 2023, a 2023 M3 to now, and a 2021 MY to now: All three cars have made vaguely regular trips to a "flapper" car wash and that front stock holder has never shown a sign of falling off.

That's one heck of a glue strip Tesla's got there.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I just installed a cheap holder from Amazon, though I don't have plates from DMV yet.

It blocks a small portion of the grill, but it won't cause any overheating problems, I'm confident. Cooling systems are always over-engineered to account for the guy pulling a 3,000 lb trailer up a hill at 80 MPH in Death Valley.

I'm skeptical about it holding up in a car wash, as it's made of the flimsiest metal. I'll probably either take it to a touchless wash, or hand wash... I really only wash a car about once a year anyhow. Frequent rain here means cars aren't ever clean, but they also aren't that dirty.

Amazon.com

I just installed a cheap holder from Amazon, though I don't have plates from DMV yet.

It blocks a small portion of the grill, but it won't cause any overheating problems, I'm confident. Cooling systems are always over-engineered to account for the guy pulling a 3,000 lb trailer up a hill at 80 MPH in Death Valley.

I'm skeptical about it holding up in a car wash, as it's made of the flimsiest metal. I'll probably either take it to a touchless wash, or hand wash... I really only wash a car about once a year anyhow. Frequent rain here means cars aren't ever clean, but they also aren't that dirty.

Amazon.com
I think the “danger” with that holder is that if force applied to it, that force would then be transmitted to the plastic grill which would break; that part, like all Tesla parts, is pricey.

i love in a state that requires a front license plate. I was thinking of just using the OEM one. I've read that it's possible that some of the aftermarket ones on Amazon may block / limit the amount of air that comes into the car and potently cause problems. Has anyone used the front OEM one and are happy with it?

Also, what do you all use for your black plate holder?
I use the OEM one without any issues. Super sticky. I live in Texas and drove without a front plate for about 6 months before the local police stopped me and gave me a warning. I see the same guys every day and so I had to fit the plate. I've seen neighbors being stopped for the same thing. I guess its luck of the draw sometimes. I had a Camaro that I owned for 2 years without a plate and never got stopped, though I put the plate on the dashboard. When I lived in LA I actually got a ticket for a missing front plate while parked at LAX. I could not believe I could get one while parked at LAX. Looking back I probably should have fought it but just a waste of my time.

When I lived in LA I actually got a ticket for a missing front plate while parked at LAX. I could not believe I could get one while parked at LAX. Looking back I probably should have fought it but just a waste of my time.

I got a ticket for expired plates while parked in San Diego. It was a Turo rental, so I didn't personally care, but I was surprised it's not legal to have expired plates on a car not being driven.

Not that surprised though, because I got a ticket for not having insurance on a car registered to me that wasn't being driven in Oregon. I had a court date via phone call, and the judge asked me why I didn't have insurance, and I said the car wasn't being driven. She dismissed the ticket on my testimony that the car wasn't being driven. Don't know why such lunacy has to occur when there's actual crimes being committed. 1 out of 5 drivers are uninsured; bust those scoundrels.

There should be no laws with an assumption of guilt. Nobody should be proving their innocence, the system needs to establish guilt.

Seems that the car being on a public road (versus private property) may matter for these kinds of citations.
Yup.

My family in San Diego has this huge Toyota Sequoia that they don’t often drive. It’s parked in the driveway, but it also requires informing the DMV, since we’re not using it, we should suspend the registration until we use it. Plus you don’t pay for registration while it’s suspended.

Both instances @redpoint5 mentioned are faults of the owners, not instances of them “assuming guilt.” Car on public road is subject to rules of the road.

Both instances @redpoint5 mentioned are faults of the owners, not instances of them “assuming guilt.” Car on public road is subject to rules of the road.

Exactly backwards. If the state accuses someone of something, it's incumbent on the state to provide evidence. It's perfectly legal to not have insurance in Oregon for a car not driven on public roads. They're the ones the suck, and they suck hard.

Used the stick-on OEM front plate holder on a Model 3 with no complaints. Have not heard of any complaints (regarding falling off or whatever) from anyone using the stick-on OEM front plate holder.
Mine fell off my Model Y 6 months after I purchased it. It was a hot summer day and it was hanging when I came out to my driveway.

It was installed in winter though, so maybe adhesion wasn’t as good as it could have been if it were above 15 degrees.