Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of you installed Tesla official roof rack on model 3, did you encounter any problems for mounting bikes on top?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

First spring and summer with my model 3. Was considering installing a hitch to a mount bike racks to carry my bike and my wife bike from spring and summer months which only last about 4-5 months where I live. But then found out the cost is a bit high just to install hitch which we will just use for carrying 2 bikes for 4-5 months of bike riding.

Then I found this roof rack on Tesla website:

For of those installed it, did you encounter any problems for mounting bikes on top?
Which bike mounts would you guys recommend?

Just want to make sure it can get the job done to mount two bikes without any problem before I pull the trigger to buy since Tesla return policy for accessories is not the best.

Thank you for all your comment.

For a comparison, I went with the OEM roof rails, but not the OEM bike mounts. I did not want to use a fork mount, so went with Yakima Highroad carriers on top (2) plus a Yakima Singlespeed on a Torklift Ecohitch on the back. I've done a number of multi-hour drives with a bulky MTB (Transition Patrol) on top without any issues.

Both Yakima mounts (roof and hitch) quickly and easily can be removed if I want to increase my aero efficiency. I'm not using the T-slots on the rooftop carriers, they just strap on.

Reactions: coolmanfever
Brand new M3. Installed roofers as per instructions. Carried 2 bikes (mountain) but all well under the weight limit. Shattered the roof glass, one of the covers flew off. See pics. Now going to see what Tesla say.

Brand new M3. Installed roofers as per instructions. Carried 2 bikes (mountain) but all well under the weight limit. Shattered the roof glass, one of the covers flew off. See pics. Now going to see what Tesla say.
Holy Smokes. Can you share some detailed pics not only of the damage but also closeups of where each crossbar base attaches to the roof? It should not have been making any contact with the glass.

For reference, there should be daylight between the glass edge and the bottom of the mounting tower, like this.
ABF35C9C-B727-448C-B54C-3BE2C0B5FC28_1_201_a.jpeg

I have the roof racks installed and have used them to haul 2 road bikes using Thule fork-mount bike racks. No issues so far, though I haven't done much highway mileage in that set up. I've also mounted a Thule roof box packed to the gills with camping equipment and while the box has been blown askew by high cross winds a couple of times, the racks themselves have been solid.

• Informative
Reactions: Saturday
I have the roof racks installed and have used them to haul 2 road bikes using Thule fork-mount bike racks. No issues so far, though I haven't done much highway mileage in that set up. I've also mounted a Thule roof box packed to the gills with camping equipment and while the box has been blown askew by high cross winds a couple of times, the racks themselves have been solid.
Same - I've driven hundreds of miles with mountain bikes on the roof over the two years I've owned the car so far, plus a Yakima Rocketbox with winter gear the other half of the season, through some awful sideways winds. No problems yet...

ouch. sorry to hear that. I am still hesitiated to install roof rack. I know some of you guys had no problem but i heard similar reports roof cracking when I do more research.

Happy to ear your stories:

Still debating on going for a hitch receiver bike rack or a roof Rack…

I was planning on going for Tesla roof racks with a cargo box for winter and ski’s. And for summer, 2 mountain bikes on top and a hitched mountain bike receiver.

I was debating on going with a northshore 4 bike vs 2 bike

Vs

2 bikes on Tesla crossbars with Yakima or Thule pro

What do you think?