Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

For those with range anxiety in hotter temperatures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3P 2023, about 5k miles.

Topped off to 90% this morning, took the scenic route to work:

IMG_4657.jpeg

Topped off to 81% from 61% at work, headed to second work location:
IMG_4656.jpeg

Then realized that I have to drop of someone at the airport and drove as fast as I could back home. Then airport, then back home.

Work location 1 to work location 2, work location 2 to home, home to airport and airport to home shown below.

IMG_4655.jpeg

Arrived home with 10% just ticking to 9% as I pulled in the driveway.

Temperature ranged from 95 when I left to 104 at peak and 97 at return.

Figured this would help calm someone.

Attachments

• IMG_4655.jpeg
    IMG_4655.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 253
Reactions: fsb1 and rpiotro
What am I looking at here? You drove 197 miles over a day, seems Tezlab thought you did about 97% efficiency on the drives, which normally is pretty accurate.

Where’s the drive between Houston and Bryan and or Katy to College Station?

Starting I guess about 283, drive 197 (or more) should leave ~ 85, and you had 32?
I wonder how much cabin overheat protection was on, sentry mode? Do you have that tracked in energy somewhere?

Rain absolutely reduces mileage in EV and ICE it’s just people don’t notice/ care in ICE as faster to refuel and gas stations on every corner.

1690374097245.png

This is only a rolling resistance of the tires in relation to the ground and doesn't include resistance in other components of the drivetrain (transmission, wheel bearings, drag of the brake pads on the rotors) or the wind resistance, so the 30-40% increase they reference here doesn't translate to a 30-40% increase in Wh/mile, but it is enough to be noticeable if you look at the in-vehicle graph on a specific trip that does and doesn't have rain on the road surface. The tire has to push that water out of the way to make contact with the asphalt. That takes energy, which has to come from somewhere.

Why rain?
Rolling resistance? But that would affect an ICE car the same way, and I never heard of reduced mpg in rain.
Battery being kept cooler because of water coolong from below? Something else?
It's the rolling resistance as the other posters have shown. It may be be more noticeable in my SR+ because the max mileage is pretty much half of all the ICE cars I've every owned, so that any decrease in range appears more significant.

I first noticed it on a trip to LA where the first half there was no rain. After I got to my destination, I took note of the battery percentage it took to get there. On the way back, it started raining and I quickly noticed that I wasn't getting nearly the efficiency that I had on the way up and I needed to stop and charge to a higher battery level than I had calculated to get home by 20%.

Reactions: flixden
What am I looking at here? You drove 197 miles over a day, seems Tezlab thought you did about 97% efficiency on the drives, which normally is pretty accurate.

Starting I guess about 283, drive 197 (or more) should leave ~ 85, and you had 32?
I wonder how much cabin overheat protection was on, sentry mode? Do you have that tracked in energy somewhere?
Drive between Katy and College Station shown in the first image.

I guess my point was lost by me not posting a cooler temperature comparison. I was trying to state that there is no difference between my drives at 80F and those at 105F.

Saw an article (actually several) on range reduction in hotter weather. Be it due to A/C or whatever other reason. Here is one:

Just wanted to share my experience that there was no observable difference on my end for temperatures as hot as 105F.

Over heat protection activated 3-4 times. Set to 95. No sentry mode.