Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For what do/have you used a FLIR* device?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
This is to be filed under "Justifications for buying something cool". A really bulging file....

The current thread regarding a lost Model X key fob has brought forth the demonstration of a FLIR device being useful for finding it: Fob missing somewhere inside Model X - any guesses?

That's pretty compelling...but $220-250 as insurance against something not hugely likely to occur isn't quite enough to push me over the edge. Have any of you other stories for which a FLIR has been truly helpful - rather than merely gadgety?

I'm seeing a FLIR One - it links to an iPhone - being offered on Amazon right now for $221: Amazon.com: FLIR ONE Thermal Imager for iOS: Camera & Photo. Stand-alone FLIR devices go for $1,200-$3,500 and I'm sure a lot higher.

*And for those of you who knew as little as I did, "FLIR" stands for Forward-Looking InfraRed.

I'm eagerly watching this thread because I want a FLIR and I need some ammunition to justify the purchase to myself. So far, I've come up with inspecting various aspects of my home's ductwork, doors, windows, and insulation to look for problems. None of those are fun, though.