TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

For what do/have you used a FLIR* device?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AudubonB, Dec 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

This is to be filed under "Justifications for buying something cool". A really bulging file....

The current thread regarding a lost Model X key fob has brought forth the demonstration of a FLIR device being useful for finding it: Fob missing somewhere inside Model X - any guesses?

That's pretty compelling...but $220-250 as insurance against something not hugely likely to occur isn't quite enough to push me over the edge. Have any of you other stories for which a FLIR has been truly helpful - rather than merely gadgety?

I'm seeing a FLIR One - it links to an iPhone - being offered on Amazon right now for $221: Amazon.com: FLIR ONE Thermal Imager for iOS: Camera & Photo. Stand-alone FLIR devices go for $1,200-$3,500 and I'm sure a lot higher.

*And for those of you who knew as little as I did, "FLIR" stands for Forward-Looking InfraRed.

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I'm eagerly watching this thread because I want a FLIR and I need some ammunition to justify the purchase to myself. So far, I've come up with inspecting various aspects of my home's ductwork, doors, windows, and insulation to look for problems. None of those are fun, though.

3. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Two Telsa things...

My opinion if it's useful to you and you can afford it, get one. If you can truly justify it for business or something, even better :)

4. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

i used it to check the insulation in my home and find the leaky spots

5. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Do you use it from the inside out or the outside in for that, Xenophobe? Or both directions?

6. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

both directions - the key is to check during large temperature deltas like when its 15 degrees outside and then go inside to see the leakage. I had huge areas where the builder had left whole sections of insulation out.....

• Informative x 1