Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fob missing somewhere inside Model X - any guesses?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're kidding? Can't they just reprogram a new fob for you? When my daughter lost the keys to our sigX loaner , they charged us around $60 for them to reprogram another. Couldn't they do the same for you and just send it in the mail or have you stop by and pick it up if they are worried about security? That seems lot more sensible than having to schedule a service apointment and pulling the seats apart.

The problem is that the old fob "hiding" in the car makes it impossible to lock the X (or S). Folks have gotten their S's stolen this way (leaving it in the car and parking it outside). Or at least that's my interpretation...

IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0162.JPG IMG_0163.JPG
I lost my fob 2x. Once under the carpet and one in the console, under the rubber pad below the phone dock.
Both times Flir rescued me.

I have both Tiles and TrackRs for over a year now. in that time the tile battery ran out and offered to replace the tile for 50% off. The TrackR has a replaceable battery which they only charge a buck or two for shipping to get. For this reason, I only recomend TrackRs to friends. Here is the link:
Track your phone, wallet, keys & anything else with TrackR!
IMHO, the TrackR is complete crap. I bought a TrackR Bravo to attach to my keys. I can't get more than a month on a battery, it loses Bluetooth pairing every time the app updates (and I don't realize it until I actually need to find my keys, only to realize that it's lost the connection), and the speaker died after 6 months, rendering it mute. Nice idea, horrible execution. There's a reason for all the 1 star reviews. Don't waste your money.

• Informative
Reactions: emchen and MikeC
What were you doing when you lost it?
Driving, cleaning the car, putting stuff in the trunk or somerhing else?
Where do you usually keep the fob? Pants ? Jacket?
Are there any kids involved? If so, how old?

I think the last time I had it, I placed it on the center console armrest when I left the car with my wife inside to run into a store. But I may have tossed it on one of the front seats. But I've looked in and under the center console and under and around all the seats and crevices between them. The fob is usually in my left front pants pocket. No kids involved.

View attachment 207884 View attachment 207885 View attachment 207886
I lost my fob 2x. Once under the carpet and one in the console, under the rubber pad below the phone dock.
Both times Flir rescued me.

This is awesome. I might have to buy one of those.

You can overide the no lock with fob in car by using the app on your phone. I did it when I had an extra fob inside my suitcase and did not want to dig it out each time we stopped at a supercharger.

Even if you lock with the app, I think pressing on the handles unlocks it - I don't have access to the car at the moment or I'd confirm.

Can you get service to erase the keys paired to your car and reprogram your key you currently have? When you find the missing fob in the car, then service can activate it again.

Not sure, might work, but I told service the issue so I would probably just defer to how they decide to handle it.

I think the last time I had it, I placed it on the center console armrest when I left the car with my wife inside to run into a store. But I may have tossed it on one of the front seats. But I've looked in and under the center console and under and around all the seats and crevices between them. The fob is usually in my left front pants pocket. No kids involved.

Perhaps when you started driving again, it flew towards the back of the car. How much have you searched under the rear seats?

Reactions: MikeC
Get a quality detail place to do an interior detail of your X. Seriously.

I lost a FOB to my old Volvo one time, and just assumed it was gone.
I got my Volvo detailed perhaps 6 months later, and when I went to pick it up, they said they found the FOB in the car! Turns out it was somewhere in the car all that time!

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and MikeC
Perhaps when you started driving again, it flew towards the back of the car. How much have you searched under the rear seats?

That was my thought as well. But I searched a lot under the seats - around the pedestals, reaching into the various crevices where they meet the floor, and nothing. I can only think it must have fallen somewhere out of view somehow.

I ordered the Flir One. Will update this thread when/if I find the fob.

I lost my key fob in my Model X and went through everything talked about here. Ultimately I found it in the center console. The front section of the console (under the sliding top) and the back section (under the folding top) are connected. It was tucked in between the two sections. Not obvious at all. Just slide your hand into all areas throughout the center console. Note the cup holders can be removed from the front section. I'll bet it is there.

I lost my key fob in my Model X and went through everything talked about here. Ultimately I found it in the center console. The front section of the console (under the sliding top) and the back section (under the folding top) are connected. It was tucked in between the two sections. Not obvious at all. Just slide your hand into all areas throughout the center console. Note the cup holders can be removed from the front section. I'll bet it is there.
I still haven't programmed my S to handle opening my garage doors so I temporarily carry a garage door opener. The opener disappeared in the back section of the center console (under the folding top) but I quickly found it.

Reactions: MikeC