Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford will be training via VR? hmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Ford will be training their techs via VR to fix their Mach-E. Ford will use VR to train technicians to work on all-electric Mustang Mach-E - Electrek

I'm so glad Tesla didn't do that.

Here is a quote from Ford:
Technicians will don an Oculus Rift VR headset and then perform service tasks on the EV, like removing and installing the battery pack.

Whaaaahh? Well how often to they plan on having to perform that operation?

They are supposedly 10 months out from delivery. VR might be the only way to train 2100 dealers and techs that will be getting them in showrooms. My guess is they want to them to learn before car is in hand. Plus you can't tear down showroom cars at night and put them back together by opening.

I'm sure Ford doesn't want to replace any batteries. One still needs to know how to do it.

This is going to be fun. What's covered, not covered under warranty. The back and forth of dealers to manufacturers. The potential of lower wage of mechanic doing warranty work. The dealerships griping to manufacture when there's over the air update and potential lost revenue of up-sale if customer does not need to make a dealership visit.

This is the latest trend for corporate training. I have heard Walmart is doing mass training this way as well - faster and cheaper to send out VR headsets to stores then to send training crews.

VR is also being used to train military aircraft mechanics. It will probably be bigger in the training world than gaming in the long run.