Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the Model Y, Model 3 and the Mach E back to back to back, yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the information as I wondered about the Mustang. My wife was absolutely dead-set on a Lexus 350, and I promised her one when she retired 5 months ago. However, while I was car inspecting, I had a Tesla test drive...wow. I actually tricked my wife into a test drive..then took her on our dinner date "steak dinner". That evening she talked non-stop about that amazing MY. Yep, ordered one the next day and received delivery 5 weeks later. She has never looked back!
That happens a lot. LOL LOL LOL

Friend of mine highly encouraged me to get a Mach-e because it's "made by a more reputable manufacturer". As much as I think it's a good option for an EV, I don't know... it's too "new". No other manufacturers have gotten the "ev" thing right yet (besides Tesla). I know exactly what to expect with a Tesla. They've been around long enough...specifically in the EV world. They have a great charging network and I know I can drive it almost anywhere.

The Mach-e? Sure, it has the Ford name behind it... but Ford isn't know for their EVs yet. What about charging? I know they're trying to stand up their own network and I'm sure they're going to do well there... but this is their first real attempt at an EV. Plus, the range falls just a little shy of what I'm comfortable with.

I'm sure if I decided to get a Mach-e, I'd be super happy with it, but I'm glad I chose Tesla because I know EXACTLY what I got.
The traditional OEM car manufacturers can make vehicles with excellent fit, finish, materials and paint. They are way behind on batteries, software, and system integration. Most of their offerings are assembled from supplier-sourced components. That results in lack of efficiency. Watch the KW/h vs range numbers. Tesla kills that by comparison, but is learning how to do fit, finish, materials and paint. Quickly. Not there yet, but getting closer.

Reactions: mrwug
I am not sure you have been watching Munro’s videos. True that Tesla needs to improve its fit&finish, but Tesla is a computer-on-wheel, and is (way) ahead in many areas including battery/control system, voice control, self-driving etc…
It’s not an accident that Tesla is the most satisfying car forever.
If you skip the ICE vs EV issues (yeah I know, impossible), there are much better 50-60K vehicles than the M3 and MY that Tesla is producing. MS and MS, closer, but still wanting for lux features in a 100K+ vehicle.

Reactions: avesraggiana
I'm honestly not at all impressed with Tesla's infotainment or navigation. For such a supposedly high tech car.. it feels dated. Yes there's a huge 15" screen.. but the navigation software is sorely lacking compared to popular apps like Waze, Google Maps and hell even Apple Maps. Then there are the weak audio sources.. really Slacker radio & Spotify premium? Who gets excited over either one of those? Almost everything I've listened too over the past 10 years has been a mix of Podcasts, iHeart Radio, Pandora, Audible, Google Music, Apple Music, Youtube Music and Sirius XM. Hell there is now even support for WhatsApp, Zoom & Microsoft Teams in CarPlay.. and they all have dedicated apps that work beautifully on the cars touch screen.. which extremely important as this is way most of us now attend meetings and share with coworkers as we have adjusted to working from home.

While I do enjoy the other facets of the Tesla experience.. especially the way the vehicle drives. Needing to pick up my phone to attempt to do any of the stuff I listed above over a Bluetooth connection feels like going 10 steps backwards.. forget 2 steps. It feels like I'm back to use the AUX port again. Because thats essentially what BT connected audio is like. And while I would honestly prefer for Tesla to just stop BS'ing.. and just finally add CarPlay through an OTA update. At a minimum Tesla needs to offer a 3rd party App Store so that the above apps can atleast have a real chance of landing some space on that 15" real estate. Hell when I think about it.. the best navigation app for a Tesla is ABRP.. thanks to the custom routing/driving/charging features.. and ironically.. its also available on CarPlay lol.

Finally making phone calls, conferencing or switching calls and receiving/replying/sending text messages in a Tesla also feels dated. Way too many clicks to do these things that are much better laid out on CarPlay.. thanks to big colorful icons which are much easier to see/touch while driving.. even on a tiny 7" screen like what was in my CRV. Being able to use Siri (or OK Google for the Android Auto people) is also sorely missed as I could do things like tell it to "open the garage door".. instead I have to pay Tesla $300 for a garage door opener that should have honestly been included with the vehicle. Did I even mention if you have a smart garage door opener.. CarPlay will automatically show an icon on the dashboard to open/close the door and give a status.. and its costs absolutely nothing to add. Siri/OKGoogle also great for using other home automation features like telling your smart home to turn off all the lights or turn on the alarm.. again something I now have to pick my up while driving to do.

Also for the person complaining about having to plug-in a phone to use CarPlay on older vehicles. There is an extremely popular $120 wireless adapter that plugs into the USB port and works amazingly well at converting any wired CarPlay connection.. to a wireless one. I've used it my old 2018 Honda CR-V (traded it for the Model Y) and my wife's 2018 Atlas and its one of those things that works so amazingly well.. you wonder why the manufactures just dont offer it straight from the factory.
CarPlay sucks.. i don't want to plug my phone in everytime i get in the car.. . also its overkill and non-elegant.. there is the car maps and carplay maps.. why do i need 2 sets of maps? i dont even need my phone in a tesla which in the end is much safer.. i could use a $120 adapter and have my phone die in a few hours but that seems like 10 steps back

Tesla maps uses google maps so if someone is happy with google maps they should be happy with Tesla's maps since they are the same map

ive also never seen anyone use all the paid services of youtube music, sirius xm, apple music, ... spotify is far and away the most popular streaming music app anyway

agree on the call integration it could use some updating but it works fine for talking on the phone..

• Disagree
Reactions: Noflash
CarPlay sucks.. i don't want to plug my phone in everytime i get in the car.. . also its overkill and non-elegant.. there is the car maps and carplay maps.. why do i need 2 sets of maps? i dont even need my phone in a tesla which in the end is much safer.. i could use a $120 adapter and have my phone die in a few hours but that seems like 10 steps back

@gt2690b I'm not sure which adapter you're talking about. But to your point about plugging in: some newer vehicles feature support for wireless CarPlay and/or wireless Android Auto. I think when most of us are wishing Tesla would implement CP/AA, this is what we really mean (wireless).

Tesla maps uses google maps so if someone is happy with google maps they should be happy with Tesla's maps since they are the same map

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't Tesla actually use Open Maps or something like that rather than Google Maps data? Regardless, it does lack reporting/warning of traffic incidents and speed enforcement etc that Waze/Google Maps would open up. Choice is nice, even if you only ever plan to use the Tesla maps/nav.

ive also never seen anyone use all the paid services of youtube music, sirius xm, apple music, ... spotify is far and away the most popular streaming music app anyway

agree on the call integration it could use some updating but it works fine for talking on the phone..
Yes Spotify is popular. Here's the thing: if you had CarPlay/AndroidAuto, you could just use whatever service(s) you like because they are basically guaranteed to have an iOS/Android app that supports them. What if you like artists that aren't on Spotify? Or maybe you got gifted a subscription (e.g. doesn't Apple give a free trial sub to Apple Music and Apple TV+ with new hardware purchases?) and you want to use that service? Or you have a preference for a different service for whatever reason. If Tesla supported CP/AA, you could just use those without hoping/waiting for Tesla to offer up their own app in their walled garden, or downgrading the experience to Bluetooth audio-streaming.

Reactions: Noflash and ucsdsig
@gt2690b I'm not sure which adapter you're talking about. But to your point about plugging in: some newer vehicles feature support for wireless CarPlay and/or wireless Android Auto. I think when most of us are wishing Tesla would implement CP/AA, this is what we really mean (wireless).

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't Tesla actually use Open Maps or something like that rather than Google Maps data? Regardless, it does lack reporting/warning of traffic incidents and speed enforcement etc that Waze/Google Maps would open up. Choice is nice, even if you only ever plan to use the Tesla maps/nav.

Yes Spotify is popular. Here's the thing: if you had CarPlay/AndroidAuto, you could just use whatever service(s) you like because they are basically guaranteed to have an iOS/Android app that supports them. What if you like artists that aren't on Spotify? Or maybe you got gifted a subscription (e.g. doesn't Apple give a free trial sub to Apple Music and Apple TV+ with new hardware purchases?) and you want to use that service? Or you have a preference for a different service for whatever reason. If Tesla supported CP/AA, you could just use those without hoping/waiting for Tesla to offer up their own app in their walled garden, or downgrading the experience to Bluetooth audio-streaming.
All very well said. I wont even bother debating his points.. as I've previously laid out why CarPlay is heads & shoulders above what Tesla offers.

That said I'll never understand why people like the guy you replied, seemingly do NOT want more streaming options. CarPlay's interface is completely optional in every instance where its installed in. If he doesn't want to use it (or somehow believe it sucks).. then noone is forcing him to use CarPlay at all. You just literally never need to click on the CarPlay icon. It honestly makes me believe people who complain about CarPlay in such a manner either have never used it.. or have an incredibly small amount of experience with it. Maybe they took a ride in a friends car with it. Especially since he is completely unaware that CarPlay is now completely wireless with many new 2021 vehicles.

You also nailed it with the service(s). I get Apple Music free with my Verizon wireless subscription. I get Youtube Music free with Youtube Premium (no ads!!). I get SiriusXM streaming free because my wife pays for Sirius satellite service in her vehicle, so I can use her login on my devices/vehicles. In other words I dont directly pay for ANY music streaming service, but I still get 3 of the most popular music streaming services available because I subscribe to OTHER services thanks to other services. Why would I want to pay for Spotify premium, when I have 3 services that are just as popular and work just as well and already covered through some other means of subscription.

CarPlay supports over 100 streaming apps and the library is constantly growing daily.. how many streaming apps does Tesla's interface support? Chances whatever streaming apps you already use, CarPlay will support years before Tesla's interface ever will. If ever.

Last edited:
"CarPlay sucks.. i don't want to plug my phone in everytime i get in the car"
CarPlay in my BWM is wireless, even works when my iPhone is in my pocket. The phone connect to CarPlay using WiFi, a much faster connection than Bluetooth.

There are many cars with wireless CarPlay: https://www.cars.com/articles/wireless-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-where-are-they-now-407297/

As for traffic, I do not trust the Tesla navigation. I have been caught many times in construction traffic when using the Tesla. I tested against Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps. For the latest traffic update, they are all superior to the Tesla maps.

"CarPlay sucks.. i don't want to plug my phone in everytime i get in the car"
CarPlay in my BWM is wireless, even works when my iPhone is in my pocket. The phone connect to CarPlay using WiFi, a much faster connection than Bluetooth.

There are many cars with wireless CarPlay: https://www.cars.com/articles/wireless-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-where-are-they-now-407297/
Its almost like you actually use CarPlay and understand what its currently capable of.. lol

... As for traffic, I do not trust the Tesla navigation. I have been caught many times in construction traffic when using the Tesla. I tested against Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps. For the latest traffic update, they are all superior to the Tesla maps.

Maybe its location specific, but I find that Google Maps and Tesla Navigation track to the minute. Most recently, I had Google Maps up on my phone and used Tesla Maps in heavy traffic on the 405 driving to UCLA from Torrance. This is an 18.3 mile drive that can range from 30 minutes to well over 90 minutes. They started up with the exact same arrival times and kept in sync as I drove past 2 accidents. My wife tends to trust Google Maps, and she has double checked the Tesla Navigation app on other drives, in each case the were a match and a turn for turn match.

Reactions: gt2690b
Maybe its location specific, but I find that Google Maps and Tesla Navigation track to the minute. Most recently, I had Google Maps up on my phone and used Tesla Maps in heavy traffic on the 405 driving to UCLA from Torrance. This is an 18.3 mile drive that can range from 30 minutes to well over 90 minutes. They started up with the exact same arrival times and kept in sync as I drove past 2 accidents. My wife tends to trust Google Maps, and she has double checked the Tesla Navigation app on other drives, in each case the were a match and a turn for turn match.
I've noticed the same. Also noticed that Waze is now off by several minutes its initial prediction, but when arriving at my final destination the time of arrival ends up being exactly what the in-car Tesla navigation predicted.

Reactions: gt2690b
All very well said. I wont even bother debating his points.. as I've previously laid out why CarPlay is heads & shoulders above what Tesla offers.

That said I'll never understand why people like the guy you replied, seemingly do NOT want more streaming options. CarPlay's interface is completely optional in every instance where its installed in. If he doesn't want to use it (or somehow believe it sucks).. then noone is forcing him to use CarPlay at all. You just literally never need to click on the CarPlay icon. It honestly makes me believe people who complain about CarPlay in such a manner either have never used it.. or have an incredibly small amount of experience with it. Maybe they took a ride in a friends car with it. Especially since he is completely unaware that CarPlay is now completely wireless with many new 2021 vehicles.

You also nailed it with the service(s). I get Apple Music free with my Verizon wireless subscription. I get Youtube Music free with Youtube Premium (no ads!!). I get SiriusXM streaming free because my wife pays for Sirius satellite service in her vehicle, so I can use her login on my devices/vehicles. In other words I dont directly pay for ANY music streaming service, but I still get 3 of the most popular music streaming services available because I subscribe to OTHER services thanks to other services. Why would I want to pay for Spotify premium, when I have 3 services that are just as popular and work just as well and already covered through some other means of subscription.

CarPlay supports over 100 streaming apps and the library is constantly growing daily.. how many streaming apps does Tesla's interface support? Chances whatever streaming apps you already use, CarPlay will support years before Tesla's interface ever will. If ever.
Wireless carplay drains phone batteries.. carplay is great in cars that don't have anything else but I prefer my car to not need my phone.. also my S has SiriusXM which works great when there is no cell service.. as for the 3 and y there are pretty nice aftermarket HUDS that have carplay ... My F150 has carplay but I usually prefer the native nav cause I don't want to fool with my phone

Yes, I’m well aware of that. That’s why I mentioned wanting the ability to quickly change playlists.
I just don't see much less fooling with phone unless you're talking wireless carplay.. plug phone in .. type stuff on screen vs tapping screen a couple times and back in pocket.. I prefer to leave phone in pocket the whole trip.. I mean maybe if you're changing playlists 10 times a trip it'd be nice but seems like splitting hairs

Tesla would likely add an apple music app before carplay though

The wireless carplay in the mach e is pretty tight but still clunky imo.. either it's draining my battery or railing the battery at 100% charge effectively killing my phone

I just don't see much less fooling with phone unless you're talking wireless carplay.. plug phone in .. type stuff on screen vs tapping screen a couple times and back in pocket.. I prefer to leave phone in pocket the whole trip.. I mean maybe if you're changing playlists 10 times a trip it'd be nice but seems like splitting hairs

@gt2690b the whole point of Car Play and Android Auto is that you interact with all those controls on the car's display instead of pulling out your phone.

Reactions: Daekwan and ucsdsig