Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the Model Y, Model 3 and the Mach E back to back to back, yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are looking for a new car for my wife. We decided to buy our first EV. We visited our daughter and and we’re able to test drive both Teslas while there. On our the way home we were able to stop at a Ford dealer who had a Mach E available for test drives.

We drove the model Y first, white with black interior. We then drove the model 3, Blue with white interior. She mainly drove them, but I did get a chance to drive both on the way back to the dealer. My car history is heavy on performance. Multiple BMW M cars and pure gas guzzling sports cars (Dodge Viper ACR, etc.). I love the tech of the EVs as well as the insane straight line power. I was curious about the handling/cornering. I was pleasantly surprised by the Teslas. Obviously the Model 3 handled better than the Model Y due to the sedan vs SUV aspect. We liked how both rode, drove and handled. We also loved the tech loaded into both. The center screens are large and bright. They are integrated into the dash well (to the eye). The software was quick and relatively intuitive (especially if you use a smartphone/IPad). The interiors are clean and sleek, as everyone already knows.

The Mach E was black with black interior. It was the AWD version. The interior is more traditional with the drivers cluster and more switches and knobs. The center screen is in portrait orientation. It sadly looks like they glued an IPad to the dashboard. It just stuck out visually (something my wife also noted. The seats in the Mach E were the most comfortable. Rear legroom was surprisingly ample. The trunk/hatch was minuscule compared to the Model Y. We have a daughter who uses a wheelchair, so we gauge adequate truck/rear space by the ability to put the chair in. The Y, no problem putting the chair in upright. The Model 3 on its side. The Mach E we would have to remove the wheels and collapse the chair. I had more rear space in my M6. Driving/handling/ride of the Mach E was very comparable to the two Teslas. I fully understand that these cars won’t handle like a Viper, but they are pleasant to drive. The acceleration of the Mach E was anemic. Both Teslas destroy it in that department. The outside aesthetics go to the Mach E, IMO. It is a damn nice looking car. Not that the Y or 3 is ugly, just different. They definitely were using the lines of the Mustang to attract traditionalists. They got that one correct.

It was great to be able to drive these on the same day all in a row. In all honesty I was leaning towards the Mustang (especially with all of the hype and reviews), so much so that I had a deposit on one. And remember, I have no brand loyalty or predisposition to any maker. Well, this morning I contacted the dealer about getting a refund. Once that happens and my wife is ready we will be ordering a LR Model Y for her.

A side note, I wanted to sit in a Model S to see what the seat position is liked and there were none on the lot. Once my lease is up in a year I will most likely be getting the S. I’ll wait until later in the year for the Plaid version to be on the lot to drive and then decide between it and the + version.
tks for your review

We are looking for a new car for my wife. We decided to buy our first EV. We visited our daughter and and we’re able to test drive both Teslas while there. On our the way home we were able to stop at a Ford dealer who had a Mach E available for test drives.

We drove the model Y first, white with black interior. We then drove the model 3, Blue with white interior. She mainly drove them, but I did get a chance to drive both on the way back to the dealer. My car history is heavy on performance. Multiple BMW M cars and pure gas guzzling sports cars (Dodge Viper ACR, etc.). I love the tech of the EVs as well as the insane straight line power. I was curious about the handling/cornering. I was pleasantly surprised by the Teslas. Obviously the Model 3 handled better than the Model Y due to the sedan vs SUV aspect. We liked how both rode, drove and handled. We also loved the tech loaded into both. The center screens are large and bright. They are integrated into the dash well (to the eye). The software was quick and relatively intuitive (especially if you use a smartphone/IPad). The interiors are clean and sleek, as everyone already knows.

The Mach E was black with black interior. It was the AWD version. The interior is more traditional with the drivers cluster and more switches and knobs. The center screen is in portrait orientation. It sadly looks like they glued an IPad to the dashboard. It just stuck out visually (something my wife also noted. The seats in the Mach E were the most comfortable. Rear legroom was surprisingly ample. The trunk/hatch was minuscule compared to the Model Y. We have a daughter who uses a wheelchair, so we gauge adequate truck/rear space by the ability to put the chair in. The Y, no problem putting the chair in upright. The Model 3 on its side. The Mach E we would have to remove the wheels and collapse the chair. I had more rear space in my M6. Driving/handling/ride of the Mach E was very comparable to the two Teslas. I fully understand that these cars won’t handle like a Viper, but they are pleasant to drive. The acceleration of the Mach E was anemic. Both Teslas destroy it in that department. The outside aesthetics go to the Mach E, IMO. It is a damn nice looking car. Not that the Y or 3 is ugly, just different. They definitely were using the lines of the Mustang to attract traditionalists. They got that one correct.

It was great to be able to drive these on the same day all in a row. In all honesty I was leaning towards the Mustang (especially with all of the hype and reviews), so much so that I had a deposit on one. And remember, I have no brand loyalty or predisposition to any maker. Well, this morning I contacted the dealer about getting a refund. Once that happens and my wife is ready we will be ordering a LR Model Y for her.

A side note, I wanted to sit in a Model S to see what the seat position is liked and there were none on the lot. Once my lease is up in a year I will most likely be getting the S. I’ll wait until later in the year for the Plaid version to be on the lot to drive and then decide between it and the + version.
I test drove model y lr, model y performance, model 3 or, Mach-e GT.I rented them and drive the cars for an entire day.

Aspects that I greatly disliked about mach-e:
0) Assembled in Mexico vs my Tesla assembled in USA. Mine was made in Fremont, California which I appreciated a lot since I live in the state.

1) youvsee the whole darned trunk when driving.

2) there is a curvey feature of the hood which lined up just left of center or my vision. I felt like I was driving around with a rifle aiming scope.

3) while the car cabin is much quieter and car goes over poor roads without adding much noise in cabin, I found the suspension to be very floaty and bobbing. Perhaps I just got used to the MYP suspension as I had no issues with floaty suspension on my volt before owning MYP.

What I liked about mustang-GT

0) price, Ford gets EV federal tax credit. But my MYP qualified for a $2,500 state rebate at least.

1) acceleration was good. I was in a GT in unbridled driving mode. However, I hear after 10 (something like that) seconds of full acceleration, the Mach-e will purposely decrease acceleration rate unlike the model y. Ford might remove this via software. I don’t race so I had more than enough seconds of full acceleration for my enjoyment and needs.

2) quiet cabin & handled old crappy rough road pavement very good. Model y is much louder cabin and let’s you feel a lot more of the road even with Gemini tires. You can get aftermarket adjustable suspensions for Y to help in this area. I’ll probably do this to make the ultimate long distance vacation vehicle.

3) Apple Car Play on the giant center touch screen.

4) I liked the interior of Mach-e a lot.

@ElectricAnt54 I pretty much agree with all your assessments. I think the Model Y suspension is too busy and harsh (for a crossover family car), but the regular Mach-E suspension is too soft and floaty, I dislike it even more. Try the Mach-E GT Performance Edition though! Its suspension is worlds better than the lower models. Much better ride and much better handling at the same time.

I still wouldn't recommend a GT PE due to its thermal throttling issues, but there is a lot to like about that car. It was a very solid #3 choice in our car shopping last fall before I learned the full extent of its thermal issues.