Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forming an LLC (or S Corp) to lease (yes, lease)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm strongly considering forming an entity to lease a Tesla (considering a Model Y).

Have you done such a thing? What was your experience like?

My goal is writing off some of the lease (50%, maybe 2/3) as I plan to create Youtube content with the vehicle, as well as writing off other expenses relating to content creation.

I'm fine with personally guaranteeing the lease just curious about potential benefits and pitfalls of leasing through an entity.

I’ve never done this, so I cannot comment on your plan specifically.

Make sure you are aware of all the reporting requirements for an LLC. Make sure you understand the tax implications. Make sure you are prepared to file quarterly estimated payments if you expect to make money and/or have your health insurance through an LLC.

I'm strongly considering forming an entity to lease a Tesla (considering a Model Y).

Have you done such a thing? What was your experience like?

My goal is writing off some of the lease (50%, maybe 2/3) as I plan to create Youtube content with the vehicle, as well as writing off other expenses relating to content creation.

I'm fine with personally guaranteeing the lease just curious about potential benefits and pitfalls of leasing through an entity.

You should talk to a tax professional. Good luck justifying that to the IRS with no income

Reactions: Mdubz
NEVER assume the IRS is dumb, and has never seen what you are attempting before.

I think they have a policy that if you don't show a profit in at least x out of y years you are deemed a hobby not a business.

LLCs are another thing... strict rules. Decide whether you want any income as business or pass through. If you don't know what that means stop now. Be prepared for such things as getting a business license, making/publishing a fictitious business name statement, business only bank account, etc. etc.

Good luck.