Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forward to Reverse "Transmission" Slip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Krock65

Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2020
Ridgecrest, CA
OK, I know my MY doesn't have a "transmission" per se, but I'm not sure how to articulate my question. When I first got my MY, I really liked that I could go forward, slow down, and, before stopping, shift to reverse and have the car smoothly slow down and reverse. A couple of months ago or so, I noticed that the car felt like it "slipped" forward before going into reverse. If the car had a transmission, I would say the transmission was slipping. Obviously, that's not it here. A week ago or so, I noticed the same slipping going from reverse to forward. I have a service appointment for next Friday and I hope they can fix the issue, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and knows what I'm in for? Thanks!

I second the stop first advice.

I wonder if it takes a bit longer to stop first for you if the regen braking is restricted due to cold battery or high SOC?

Because it does stop first for you, apparently, I'm guilty of accidentally shifting too soon also. Thought, oh, that's good,it won't shift to R until the car actually stops. Cool.

Upvote 0
If only there was a definitive source of information on the Tesla Model Y, i.e. when shifting from reverse into drive or from drive into reverse. :rolleyes:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

See Shifting Gears, page 53.

Reverse - Push the drive stalk all the way up and release. You can only shift into Reverse when Model Y is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h).

Drive - Push the drive stalk all the way down and release. You can shift into Drive when Model Y is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h) in Reverse.

Upvote 0
Great, so the decades of training drivers to ALWAYS come to a full stop before changing from forward to reverse is no longer a requirement for the Tesla? I guess I'll have to "unlearn" that archaic method. Sheesh...
Yep! I retrain myself to take advantage of not needing to complete stop first. So much more convenient!

The complete stop requirement is all due to the need to use gearbox in ICE car.

Reactions: Krock65
Upvote 0
WHY are you doing this? Why not treat your $55k car with respect and actually STOP prior to changing directions?
I did a crazy thing. I read the manual.

Reverse - Push the drive stalk all the way up and release. You can only shift into Reverse when Model Y is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h).

Drive - Push the drive stalk all the way down and release. You can shift into Drive when Model Y is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h) in Reverse.

Since there isn’t a transmission, I thought this was a cool thing to try. And I really liked how it worked. Since it was in the manual, I actually though I was treating my car with the respect Tesla suggested.

Upvote 0
If only there was a definitive source of information on the Tesla Model Y, i.e. when shifting from reverse into drive or from drive into reverse. :rolleyes:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Thanks for that. The information here (I actually did read the manual when I got the car! Shocking, I know!) is precisely why I started changing gears in motion. It’s pretty cool. And I only shift below 5 mph (if you try to do it above that, the car won’t let you.). So thanks to all the folks shocked that I would do this. But I’m still hoping to find someone who has experienced the problem I’ve seen.

Upvote 0
Great, so the decades of training drivers to ALWAYS come to a full stop before changing from forward to reverse is no longer a requirement for the Tesla? I guess I'll have to "unlearn" that archaic method. Sheesh...
Kind of like taking your foot off the “gas” pedal and not needing the brake, or not turning the car off before you get out of it, or..... 😎

Upvote 0
No longer a requirement but no harm in doing so. In fact, if you keep doing it the traditional way, any ICE vehicles you drive will thank you. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for that. The information here (I actually did read the manual when I got the car! Shocking, I know!) is precisely why I started changing gears in motion. It’s pretty cool. And I only shift below 5 mph (if you try to do it above that, the car won’t let you.). So thanks to all the folks shocked that I would do this. But I’m still hoping to find someone who has experienced the problem

Is the battery at high SOC or colder? Seems like that could limit the stopping speed, if regen braking is limited.

Upvote 0
Krock65: Thanks for clarification. For car junkies, we can change cars from manual/auto ICE to one-pedal EV, etc. w/o issue. The NON junkies (i.e. NORMAL people) can't do the same. I won't be surprised if folk with ICE and EV in their garages get into trouble doing what you're doing.

I will NOT be telling my family about this Tesla capability, for exactly this reason. ;)

Reactions: Krock65
Upvote 0