Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Founders Series Powerwall for Sale. Ready to Install.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Founders Series Powerwall for sale which includes Energy Gateway ($1,100 value), and $1,000 (included) for install cost.

Current value is $6,500 plus $1,100 Energy Gateway + $1,000 Installation credit = $8,600

Please PM me (or email me at [email protected]) if you are interested. I have verified with Tesla Energy Advisor that this can be gifted to a person of my choice with my authorization and after I provide the recipient name and installation address. The process will be completed by Tesla.

Asking $5k or highest best offer.

Also, keep in mind that the buyer will have to pay federal and state income taxes on the full value of the award, via 1099. The full value has been reported as $8600 in other threads, so multiply that times your effective tax rate, and that's the tax you'll have to pay on the award. When installing a referral PW2 award, Tesla will require the BUYER to file a W-9 form in order to send out a 1099 to report the income.

So let’s say if I buy from Tesla, it’s $8600 and I got 30% tax credit = $6,000

If I buy from the OP, I pay him $5000 plus pay 30% tax on $8,600 = $7,600 (assume my effective marginal tax is 30%)

Is my calculation correct?

You do get to claim the 30% tax credit on the OPs price (just have your paper trail), assuming that you meet the requirements for the ITC (fully charging from solar, etc. etc.).

Additionally, you will have state income taxes to pay if you live in a state that has those.

Also, keep in mind that the buyer will have to pay federal and state income taxes on the full value of the award, via 1099. The full value has been reported as $8600 in other threads, so multiply that times your effective tax rate, and that's the tax you'll have to pay on the award. When installing a referral PW2 award, Tesla will require the BUYER to file a W-9 form in order to send out a 1099 to report the income.
It’s marginal tax rate, not effective, right?

It’s marginal tax rate, not effective, right?

At the end of the day, with deductions and exemptions and other taxes or credits, I always use my effective tax rate to figure what my actual dollars tax impact will be. Everyone has a different effective tax rate. For example, I'm self-employed and have an SEP, I can contribute up to 25% of my income to the plan each year.. and that's fully deductible against income. So if I had $5000 additional income and I'm in the 28% tax bracket, the marginal tax on that income would be $1,400, but because I can deduct 25% of that before tax, the actual tax I'll pay on that income is $1,050, or a 21% effective tax rate (very simple example). Yes, I pay income tax on the SEP withdraws when I'm retired, but that's likely at a much lower tax rate. To figure my effective tax rate, I take my total taxes paid divided by my total income.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
If I end up getting another powerwall from someone selling a referral package, I’d gladly sell the one that comes with the package for a nice discount (brand new never used)...

Yeah, it doesn't work that way. The PW2(plus gateway) just don't show up on your doorstep, they are installed by Tesla. If you already have a PW2 installed with a gateway, and you want to install a second referral powerwall, they won't just give you an extra gateway for free and just leave it there. As part of the site survey and engineering, they'll just piggy-back a second powerwall on your first.

BTW I’ve been owed THREE red Powerwalls for a long time. Finally was was contacted 6 months ago to start the process. We are STILL in the permit process with the city, multiple Redesigns, and THEN we have to go through process with the local utility who is demanding I add them to homeowners insurance with very high limits (SC Edison) because we are considered a “power producer.”

BTW I’ve been owed THREE red Powerwalls for a long time. Finally was was contacted 6 months ago to start the process. We are STILL in the permit process with the city, multiple Redesigns, and THEN we have to go through process with the local utility who is demanding I add them to homeowners insurance with very high limits (SC Edison) because we are considered a “power producer.”

California . . . land of RED TAPE.

I had to jump through similar hoops with SDG&E. I'm sure they are pissed because last year I pulled a total of 507 kWh from the grid (most of that being the pw's syncing to the grid).

Yeah, it doesn't work that way. The PW2(plus gateway) just don't show up on your doorstep, they are installed by Tesla. If you already have a PW2 installed with a gateway, and you want to install a second referral powerwall, they won't just give you an extra gateway for free and just leave it there. As part of the site survey and engineering, they'll just piggy-back a second powerwall on your first.
Interesting... if I get the package, I want the WHOLE thing! I would fight for it

If you already have a gateway, you would lose . . . miserably. Tesla is under no obligation to give you multiple gateways for the same address, only multiple powerwalls.
Provide them another address with a clean history (ie no powerwalls before) let them install everything, take what you like afterward and do what you want with it. Much easier than fighting about the extra gateway, simply look like what they need you to look like to give you what you want.