Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free super charging transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to buy another model x. I like to buy a used one (2018)with free super charging. What is the best way to confirm if the vehicle is eligible for transferring free super charging to new owner?
Thank you

If private party, have the current owner log into their Tesla account and see what it states regarding Supercharging. There should be a visible notice under their vehicle's configuration information page about it.

For a used vehicle from Tesla, it should be documented on the purchase page or agreement.

And, for a used vehicle from a dealership, the Sky's the limit... If the previous owner transferred it into the dealership's name, you can have them check, however, I believe Tesla mentioned in the past that Supercharging for free goes away on vehicles purchased from a third party dealership. Before purchasing my new X, I looked around at used and found some dealerships would get the previous owner to either transfer the account itself (change username or credentials) so the dealership could use it and it won't have been placed into the name of the dealership, or they would do a transfer of ownership... So, if you're talking to a dealership, you need to have them clarify it.

You can try talking to Tesla, but they won't answer you, it would have to be the dealership (which is what I had to have a few dealerships do - as they would need the previous owner's information to reveal anything about the vehicle, and the dealership would have it).

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
While the advice above is generally good, to the best of my knowledge, there was never transferrable FUSC in 2018. If it existed, it would probably only be for very early adopters who have some deal where they get it on all X and S purchases for life, and for that reason, you'd probably be hard-pressed to find one that didn't specifically advertise it. That having been said, assuming one does specifically advertise it, you should use that advice to verify, because odds are the advertiser is mistaken.

• Informative
Reactions: Hebert
While the advice above is generally good, to the best of my knowledge, there was never transferrable FUSC in 2018. If it existed, it would probably only be for very early adopters who have some deal where they get it on all X and S purchases for life, and for that reason, you'd probably be hard-pressed to find one that didn't specifically advertise it. That having been said, assuming one does specifically advertise it, you should use that advice to verify, because odds are the advertiser is mistaken.

I would assume the same thing. When I got my X in May 2018 it came with "free Supercharging for life". But the definition of "for life" had changed to "as long as you, the original purchaser, own this car".