Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Volta DC Fast Charging - CCS Plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested the new free Volta DC Fast Charging with CCS Plug.

- For Tesla, you need to use a CCS adapter instead of the J1772 DC adapter.

- You will also need to register using the Volta App to initiate the charging session before plugging the cable to your car.
(click on the charger icon on the map and scroll down to find the activation button).

- You get 30 minutes free DC Fast Charging, which was 46 kW charging speed in my case (or 23 kWh delivered)
instead of the 6 kW L2 charging for 2 hours (or 12 kWh delivered).

- The Volta App displays the elapsed charging time and after 30 minutes the charging stops.

- The App has a payment feature, but this feature was not activated. Maybe this could be used for idle fees, or to extend the charging session?

- The DC-FC icon has three rings (for L3) instead of two rings for L2 chargers, so this is a easy way to noticed them on the Volta App map.

- The only draw back was that the cable is quite short and was located on the right side of the parking stall.

So for Tesla, you need to park in reverse.
This is not easy when the stalls are in angle and if there is an other car behind you,​
as the other driver will not understand what you are doing and will pass behind you.​
I would recommend using first your emergency blinker and make a sign toward to the other driver asking to wait until you are parked.​
This will affect also the same way cars with a CCS charger door located on the left front fender, like the GM Bolt....​
Note: Getting a free DC Fast charging over the L2 charging is a great improvment,
however this will be a different use case if you need one hour or more for doing your shopping.

The 30 minutes now might just give you the time to go to the bathroom, and then you will go back to your car
to wait until the end of the charging to move your car before doing finally your shopping,
like at a Tesla Supercharger to avoid idle fees.

Last edited:
There is a Volta DCFC stall in Burnsville, MN, but as I type this, it is down, and has been for some time. Apparently, it is not showing up in Plugshare. The was the 30 minute period works is that you would not be charged if your session completes within 30 minutes, but you would be charged for time beyond 30 minutes (in the case of Burnsville, $0.33/kWh).

Reactions: ElectricIAC
There is a Volta DCFC stall in Burnsville, MN, but as I type this, it is down, and has been for some time. Apparently, it is not showing up in Plugshare. The was the 30 minute period works is that you would not be charged if your session completes within 30 minutes, but you would be charged for time beyond 30 minutes (in the case of Burnsville, $0.33/kWh).
Here they just stop after 30min

EDIT: My comments below were mentioned in the article linked above. I should have read that first!

Has anyone noticed that the free 30-minute DC Fast Charging has been discontinued? Here in Wake Forest, NC they installed two chargers at Wegmans and originally I was getting the free 30 minutes. In the past 2 weeks it is no longer free and I have been charged $0.31/kWh. The units are new and very convenient, so paying is no issue at all but I did enjoy the free energy! I sent a message to Volta via their app and here is the response I got:

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Volta has recently rolled out payments on our DC Fast chargers around the country.

Payments are needed to manage the higher charging demand from the rapidly increasing number of EVs hitting the road. Installing and providing DC Fast charging is costly, and the payments will support Volta’s operations and maintenance of DC Fast stations.

Thank you for your patience as we work to create the best and most equitable charging experience across our network.

Have additional questions around how DC Fast payments work? Check out our extended FAQ’s at support.voltacharging.com.

Drive Forward,

Volta Support Team

rfKD21urckkbIb05mkyj7YtI12z3uHnz4-La4quUM8P-g1BgHyKAFMYAkrkSY34jna46mCNN6z55wIY6Xzlyavwo7M5uOf1HCYToMoyqAbi4CJhzmF59mnVVAZ4mI1tGteqpiNKc5fYzqGFcvf5fxap-STPcIXfQW97CkVyGOvAGCApxn27WdBTfO5iUxw

EDIT: My comments below were mentioned in the article linked above. I should have read that first!

Has anyone noticed that the free 30-minute DC Fast Charging has been discontinued? Here in Wake Forest, NC they installed two chargers at Wegmans and originally I was getting the free 30 minutes. In the past 2 weeks it is no longer free and I have been charged $0.31/kWh. The units are new and very convenient, so paying is no issue at all but I did enjoy the free energy! I sent a message to Volta via their app and here is the response I got:

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Volta has recently rolled out payments on our DC Fast chargers around the country.

Payments are needed to manage the higher charging demand from the rapidly increasing number of EVs hitting the road. Installing and providing DC Fast charging is costly, and the payments will support Volta’s operations and maintenance of DC Fast stations.

Thank you for your patience as we work to create the best and most equitable charging experience across our network.

Have additional questions around how DC Fast payments work? Check out our extended FAQ’s at support.voltacharging.com.

Drive Forward,

Volta Support Team

rfKD21urckkbIb05mkyj7YtI12z3uHnz4-La4quUM8P-g1BgHyKAFMYAkrkSY34jna46mCNN6z55wIY6Xzlyavwo7M5uOf1HCYToMoyqAbi4CJhzmF59mnVVAZ4mI1tGteqpiNKc5fYzqGFcvf5fxap-STPcIXfQW97CkVyGOvAGCApxn27WdBTfO5iUxw
There’s faster ways to spend 31c/kWh.

There’s faster ways to spend 31c/kWh.

@dmo1028 I thought that's how Volta's model always was. The infrastructure is cheap for J1772 low power AC charging, so they offered that free with advertising, but fast DC stations are not cheap, so I thought they never had any free use of those.
I think you're right about that. The chargers are brand new so maybe there was a grace period for few weeks before the pricing kicked in. Oh well, it was great while it lasted!

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
- You will also need to register using the Volta App to initiate the charging session before plugging the cable to your car.
(click on the charger icon on the map and scroll down to find the activation button).
Oh is that what was going on? I tried to use the Volta CCS charger at Stonestown in SF while having lunch one time; I thought all I had to do was plug it in like I do with their L2 EVSE, but I couldn't get it to start. I do have the app but never thought starting a charger with the Volta app was ever required.