Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont, CA: Anyone have an Opti-coat recommendation near factory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rownolds

High Mileage Member
Jan 17, 2014
Kalispell, MT
Newbie here. Second post. I'm taking delivery of my black S85 from the Fremont factory in mid-March. I've decided to skip the paint armor and to drive it directly from pick-up to have opti-coat applied. Does anyone have a recommendation for a place near the factory I can have this done?
Additional comments welcome - pros and cons of opti-coat, other options.
Thanks!

A quick web search shows some possibilities: Apollo Auto Detailing; Distinctiv_Detailing; Immaculate Reflections; Orinda Auto Detailing

Anyone have any direct experience with any of these?

Jeff McGoveran at Immaculate Reflections does both Opti-Coat as well as CQuartz Finest (he is the only Finest detailer in Norcal). After consulting with him...I went with CQuartz, and I have not regretted it. Opti-Coat is great, but side by side the CQuartz gives a 3D shine that is demonstrably glossier. My car looks as good almost a year later.

And, Joe at Orinda Auto Detail has fast become a great friend (and he and Jeff are friends). Since I live just a few miles from Orinda Auto Detail, I take my car to Joe when I need someone else to hand wash, and he has applied PPF and powder coated my 19 inch wheels the exact same color as the 21's, contacting Tesla to get the dark grey center caps and the black lug nuts (I live in an area with a lot of potholes, and so the grey 21's were not an option for me. Even had Jeff out to apply CQuartz after the PPF (Jeff does not do PPF).

I will absolutely vouch for the integrity of both Jeff and Joe--both are serious auto detailers who take a lot of pride in their work, and it shows in the number of Teslas both have done. They take care of their customers and you couldn't go wrong with either one of them.

Note that you will want paint correction done and that could take many hours depending on the condition of your paint. Whatever money you spend, however, is well worth it!! Good luck.

Had paint correction and Opti-coat pro done by Joe at Orinda Auto Detail and highly recommend him. We also did the interior protection. As I have said in other posts, the paint looks incredible, easier to wash with less washing needed and everything just does not stick to the paint. Just to tell you how customer orientated he is, when I got the car back(he needs 2 days) I noticed spotting on the glass, mostly windshield and rear hatch. I called him and he came up to Sonoma on his day off and spent a half day redoing the glass. He is almost 2 hours away, do not know if anyone else would do that.

Jeff did my Opti-Coat Pro - great job. Took a lot of little imperfections (swirls, etc) out before applying the Opti-Coat. He did have the car for a couple of days. Came to my house, left his car and took mine. I have an extra car so didn't need to drive his. I live in Orinda where Joe is, but had my car done before Joe was doing Opti-Coat Pro (or at least before I knew he was doing it) (March of 2013).

Rownolds, I did exactly the same thing that you did.

I picked up my black P85+ on 12/9 from the factory and drove it straight to Joe at Orinda Auto Detail. I had the Opti-Coat, Xpel, Alloy Gator Install and the Opti-Coat interior done. I don't regret it as the car looks great. Joe needed 5 days to work on it and offered a free rental car to cover the length of the install.

After its done, he asks you to bring it back after a week to see if there is anything that was missed or popped up that needs correction. I brought it back and he found some stuff that he fixed on the car. The things he fixed wasn't even his issue. For example, earlier in the week, I hit the car loading something into the back and scuffed the paint. I showed Joe and asked if there was anything he could do to fix it. He said no problem and started sanding, buffing and apply Opti-coat to it and corrected it. ab

I don't have anything negative to say about Joe and can only praise him and his team as they will do a great job everytime.