Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Bearded Tesla Guy- new 82kwh batteries are in new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome, for energy screen:
1) One in percentage mode.
2) One in rated miles mode.
3) Navigate to somewhere close (no need to go), swap to Trip screen, click the magnify icon in upper right, take another picture (to give precise percentage).

Here's another report from another thread - from a low SOC so it probably isn't that high (I thought it might be entirely that - though 333 is outside the range of what rounding error from 45% would cause, so...). But this new info you provided makes me think that vehicle may also be reporting a higher rated miles at 100% (maybe 331 or maybe even higher).

Maybe we could get data from it as well.

Anyway we'll see.

Here are some pics from the Energy/Trip screen.

pyWmPa6.jpg

YFEdfww.jpg

nByl7Bs.jpg

ezyXe9P.jpg

I changed the display settings between energy and distance but it didn't seem to change anything in the graphs themselves.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I changed the display settings between energy and distance but it didn't seem to change anything in the graphs themselves.

Yeah that was just so I could extrapolate your miles at 100% for this particular capture, for consistency with your prior screenshots. Looks like 259 at 78.7% or so, so about 330 (you saw 331 so that seems the same as one would expect - I'm pretty sure the answer is 331, and it's not working out to exactly that, because of some rounding errors or oddity in how Tesla displays the SOC on that Trip screen - maybe SoC is actually 78.5% for example).

Anyway:
336Wh/mi*185mi /0.787 = 79.0kWh (This is the approximate degradation threshold.)

So this energy screen has a higher degradation threshold than previously (AFAIK it was about 77.8kWh before, but I'm not certain of that as I'm not following Model Y closely - I just think it was the same as Model 3 until recently).

It looks to me like Tesla is treating this new Y as a 331-mile range vehicle rather than a 326-mile one, for now.

Note 79.0kWh/331rmi = 238.7Wh/rmi which is about the same constant I mentioned above. That's what you expect from the energy screen - it seems to always work out to the same value, until Tesla changes it.

This method gives you the MINIMUM energy your vehicle has. It's possible (likely) that your vehicle currently has more than 79.0kWh (it nearly certainly has the 82.1kWh battery after all - though typically those have been showing energy closer to 80kWh, not the design capacity "Full Pack When New" value of 82.1kWh).

So as explained above, whatever your current energy (you'd have to have SMT to know), you're not going to see displayed range loss on this vehicle until your capacity drops below about 78.9kWh (the apparent degradation threshold, less half a rated mile of energy). Prior to that time, the energy in each rated mile is just a bit higher than 239Wh; it just increases to "fit" the energy into 331 such units. So, it's possible that you have a pack that actually has 81kWh (though I think unlikely) - but you'd still see 331 rated miles, with each mile containing 245Wh.

Other people with Model Y LR showing less than 331 miles at a full charge have somewhat less than 79.0kWh pack capacity. All the LR Model Y look like they have the same constant (though I can't speak to the prior model year, as it depends on what Tesla did with the software update - I think they aligned them all, but I don't remember).

At least, this is my understanding of how it works. If we find information that suggests differently, I'll change my framework to fit it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoganNolag
My MYLR was built in April 2021 and I'm showing 100% charge gets 331 miles. I'm calculating 78.8 to 79.6 kWh (I've done this a few times today). I'm assuming I have the 82.1kWh battery pack but don't have any other way of confirming and I'm not interested in spending >$100 to do the SMT. Any opinions on my assumptions?

Reactions: cancoi
My MYLR was built in April 2021 and I'm showing 100% charge gets 331 miles. I'm calculating 78.8 to 79.6 kWh (I've done this a few times today). I'm assuming I have the 82.1kWh battery pack but don't have any other way of confirming and I'm not interested in spending >$100 to do the SMT. Any opinions on my assumptions?

You have over 79kWh, and that's pretty much all we can say. Assume the same constant which gave 326 miles at 77.8kWh, an assumption supported by other data here.

That gives 77.8kWh*331/326 = 79kWh.

The energy screen gives you the MINIMUM energy you have (when you have energy in excess of the degradation threshold). It may well be higher (likely is pretty close to 80kWh with a stated "Full Pack When New" of 82.1kWh).

No one knows why 82.1kWh packs only show around 80kWh usually, with a few exceptions, which have ~81.5kWh (in Performance vehicles from what I have seen but there may be others).

The degradation threshold may well be slightly higher than 79kWh, as you have calculated. It's within about 0.2kWh of that value anyway (most likely on the higher side of that number as far as I can tell).

There is some other slight weirdness on the numbers reported here (specifically it looks like the constant in some captures is closer to 240Wh/rmi rather than 238.6Wh/rmi), but without detailed data from a few more cars with care to eliminate rounding errors wherever possible, it's hard for me to tell if Tesla is treating things slightly differently than other cars. But it doesn't matter - since we do have SMT captures from others, I think we can say with pretty high confidence that you have the 82.1kWh pack. The other packs very rarely had SMT energy content this high (~80kWh), if ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: DGMVW
You have over 79kWh, and that's pretty much all we can say. Assume the same constant which gave 326 miles at 77.8kWh, an assumption supported by other data here.

That gives 77.8kWh*331/326 = 79kWh.

The energy screen gives you the MINIMUM energy you have (when you have energy in excess of the degradation threshold). It may well be higher (likely is pretty close to 80kWh with a stated "Full Pack When New" of 82.1kWh).

No one knows why 82.1kWh packs only show around 80kWh usually, with a few exceptions, which have ~81.5kWh (in Performance vehicles from what I have seen but there may be others).

The degradation threshold may well be slightly higher than 79kWh, as you have calculated. It's within about 0.2kWh of that value anyway (most likely on the higher side of that number as far as I can tell).

There is some other slight weirdness on the numbers reported here (specifically it looks like the constant in some captures is closer to 240Wh/rmi rather than 238.6Wh/rmi), but without detailed data from a few more cars with care to eliminate rounding errors wherever possible, it's hard for me to tell if Tesla is treating things slightly differently than other cars. But it doesn't matter - since we do have SMT captures from others, I think we can say with pretty high confidence that you have the 82.1kWh pack. The other packs very rarely had SMT energy content this high (~80kWh), if ever.
Thanks for the analysis! I am strongly considering getting the SMT gear and scanning my car. If I do I will post the results.

It looks to me like Tesla is treating this new Y as a 331-mile range vehicle rather than a 326-mile one, for now.

The EPA test for the 2021 MY in September last year gave it a 330.178 mile range using 77.7kWh.

As to why the Performance have been at 81.5kWh and the LR have been at 78.9kWh, my bet is that it's an identical pack just with different charge limits set. It should give the P a little extra oomph and the LR less battery degradation (max charge 96% of full capacity), plus that 4% buffer could allow for a few hundred 80-20% discharge cycles before "losing" any range.

plus that 4% buffer could allow for a few hundred 80-20% discharge cycles before "losing" any range.
In the past, Tesla has never done this (had a buffer which was depleted over time so as to limit any capacity loss). Teslas start losing available capacity right away, to date. Whether they have a partial charge limit or not. For example Model 3 SR charges to 91% SoC and degrades immediately (loses whatever percentage of the original energy it had, equal to the % of pack capacity degradation).

If there are different charge limits set, they should be visible in SMT either as a voltage difference at the low end or the high end at a given SOC %. Could be at 100% or at 0%. Or both.

In the past, Tesla has never done this (had a buffer which was depleted over time so as to limit any capacity loss). Teslas start losing available capacity right away, to date. Whether they have a partial charge limit or not. For example Model 3 SR charges to 91% SoC and degrades immediately (loses whatever percentage of the original energy it had, equal to the % of pack capacity degradation).

If there are different charge limits set, they should be visible in SMT either as a voltage difference at the low end or the high end at a given SOC %. Could be at 100% or at 0%. Or both.
Thanks for the input, that's the better approach :)