Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y LR Battery Capacity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to figure out the pack capacity in the Model Y LR (2023). The answer I get from the math and the answer I find online don't match. The sites I found online say it is from 75kWh to 82kWh. However, the Monroney sticker says 28 kWh per 100 miles and 330 miles range. So that's 28 * 3.3 or 92.4kWh. I understand that these are estimates, but they are both from the EPA. Is the efficiency calculated separately/differently than the range?

I double checked by running the MPGe math and got a similar (~91 kWh) capacity size.

If you know of a good source for the battery pack capacity and/or see the flaw in my calculations or logic, please let me know.

I'm trying to figure out the pack capacity in the Model Y LR (2023). The answer I get from the math and the answer I find online don't match. The sites I found online say it is from 75kWh to 82kWh. However, the Monroney sticker says 28 kWh per 100 miles and 330 miles range. So that's 28 * 3.3 or 92.4kWh. I understand that these are estimates, but they are both from the EPA. Is the efficiency calculated separately/differently than the range?

I double checked by running the MPGe math and got a similar (~91 kWh) capacity size.

If you know of a good source for the battery pack capacity and/or see the flaw in my calculations or logic, please let me know.
According to documents filed with the EPA, the Long Range AWD Model Y battery is 84.6 kWh gross.

Upvote 0

I think the efficiency, or rather MPGe, is different from range. Range is likely steady state at most efficient. But MPGe is more with various conditions (certain speeds on mix of highway and locally with light traffic).

Upvote 0
Nice link

page 23 - 91kw ? Huh?
"Recharge Event Energy (kiloWatt-hours) 91.115"
This is how much energy it took to replace the energy drained from the battery including losses, from what I can tell. The figure I originally stated, 84.6 kWh, is derived from multiplying nominal voltage by capacity in Ah.
Deciphering some these results isn't exactly straightforward - it helps to have explicit knowledge of the test procedures and parameters - but some things like battery capacity and weights are simple enough to get.

Upvote 0
nvrm, I found the voltage and amp-hour that @domenick mentioned. It's on page 3 but the units are missing. It just says "Battery Energy Capacity 235". If you assume this is amp-hours (which I think it is), they you do get the 84.6kWh result. Thanks @domenick! and all.
Yeah, they don't actually list the units as amp-hours, but I've checked a number of different vehicles with known battery sizes and it checks out.
These numbers aren't as helpful for some General Motors vehicles, as they've taken to submitting lower-than-nominal voltages here.

Upvote 0
Such an interesting link. Thank you again Dominick.

page 15:
recharge event - 91.213
System end state of charge - 81.052

That’s too much to be charging loss, but we don’t seem to have much choice. We seem to have:

Base pack capacity of 84.6
current consumed to recharge of 91.223
end capacity of 81.052 (is this then “usable”? If not, how reconcile against 84.6? doesnt seem to be adequate boundary for longevity management, but the I got no real idea.

And what of the oft reported 75kwh we allegedly have? debunked?

Reactions: Patrick0101
Upvote 0
Such an interesting link. Thank you again Dominick.

page 15:
recharge event - 91.213
System end state of charge - 81.052

That’s too much to be charging loss, but we don’t seem to have much choice. We seem to have:

Base pack capacity of 84.6
current consumed to recharge of 91.223
end capacity of 81.052 (is this then “usable”? If not, how reconcile against 84.6? doesnt seem to be adequate boundary for longevity management, but the I got no real idea.

And what of the oft reported 75kwh we allegedly have? debunked?
I don't think we have enough information about the nature of the tests and how (or if) it distorts responses like current consumed to recharge. Are these actual test results, or are they projected results based on some physical testing? I'm not able to say how reflective of reality those figures are without knowing the full testing procedure, etc.

Upvote 0