Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

front camera fog frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this issue as well on my 2021 M3LR. For me it is not anything related to the A/C system it is the same "fog" that builds up on the windshield. Will be taking off the cover to clean and possibly using RainX or RainX anti fog to help minimize this. Would be nice to not have to take this off yearly to clean as the car it just turning 1YO.

Same issue on a 2023 Model 3. I contacted service and they gave me the "known issue, wait for a firmware update" speech. Interestingly, this has never happened on my 2020 M3.

Attachments

• 20240129_100618.jpg
    20240129_100618.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 20
I had a similar issue and, at least for my situation, the Tesla mobile tech was able to correctly identify and fix the problem.

Over the front camera, there is a cover or "hood". There is a rubber seal that runs around the edges of this hood that is designed to keep out condensation. After several years of daily exposure to the sun and heat, the black rubber seal deteriorated. When the mobile tech removed the hood, literally little pieces of rubber that used to be the seal around the hood fell into his hand. He replaced the hood and the seal and, since then, no more issues with condensation or film building up in my front camera. I finally can use my enhanced autopilot again.

I hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

Joe

There is a rubber seal that runs around the edges of this hood that is designed to keep out condensation.
Would you be able to confirm that the rubber seal runs all the way around the edges and not just around some of them? As you can see in the picture I posted, there doesn't appear to be a seal beneath the cameras. I'm not sure if this is intentional or if there is a torn or missing part.

Would you be able to confirm that the rubber seal runs all the way around the edges and not just around some of them? As you can see in the picture I posted, there doesn't appear to be a seal beneath the cameras. I'm not sure if this is intentional or if there is a torn or missing part.

I don't remember if the seal is around all the edges or only some of them. Also, I don't know if you can see and inspect the seal without taking the cover off. I am pretty sure the mobile tech had to remove the cover around the camera to be able to view and inspect the seal. I recommend having Tesla mobile service come to your home and inspect this cover for a deteriorated seal.

I just checked my service invoice. Here is the specific part they replaced:

REAR VIEW MIRROR -
GLARE SHIELD -
ULTRABLACK(1530259-
00-E)

Also, it was a very cheap fix. The part was only $6 and labor was $15.30, so total cost for the repair was $21.30.