Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front defroster in Model-3 not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a new Model 3 in september. I live in seattle. I drove it out yesterday at night, in the cold and rain, and the front windshield got fogged up. Switching on the front windshield defroster did not have any affect. It was really dangerous driving at night with a front defroster not working.

Any body else having this problem?

If you press the defrost button once, it will turn blue and do cool air to the windshield. If you press it again, it will turn red and supply hot air to the windshield. Hot is more effective than cool.

Also make sure you don't have it on recirculate or have the air conditioning turned off. It can't dehumidify with the air conditioning off and recirculate will cause moisture to build up in the cabin. I've found automatic mode works very well for maintaining good visibility.

I also find the front defroster dosnt work great. I have “fixed” it by leaving the “hot” defrost on all the time to try and prevent frosting in the first place.

Also I would guess that the heat uses more electricity than the AC but could be wrong. But I can say for sure not being able to see and crashing would limit range much more than running the AC or heat in order to see out.

I also find the front defroster dosnt work great. I have “fixed” it by leaving the “hot” defrost on all the time to try and prevent frosting in the first place.

Also I would guess that the heat uses more electricity than the AC but could be wrong. But I can say for sure not being able to see and crashing would limit range much more than running the AC or heat in order to see out.

Do you have problems with fogging in automatic climate mode?

Heat can use up to 6 kW, while air conditioning uses about 2-3 at max power. The system will adjust both automatically for best performance and comfort.

• Informative
Reactions: thorg12
Do you have problems with fogging in automatic climate mode?

Heat can use up to 6 kW, while air conditioning uses about 2-3 at max power. The system will adjust both automatically for best performance and comfort.
Over the last 2+weeks It’s been single digits (F) here most mornings when I leave the heated garage and 20-30F when I head home. I’ve sort of tried all the settings. What seems to work best is going in turn heat on to the defrosters and floor (arrows up and down) set to 72F. Then when I go home pre heat the car and turn just front defroster to heat. What I have found in messing with settings is I can get the front and rear but the side windows don’t defrost all that well. I think part of it is just the difference in how the heating system works in the EV compared to a ICE and I need to get used to the change.

I’ll try the auto to see if I was doing it correctly.

Over the last 2+weeks It’s been single digits (F) here most mornings when I leave the heated garage and 20-30F when I head home. I’ve sort of tried all the settings. What seems to work best is going in turn heat on to the defrosters and floor (arrows up and down) set to 72F. Then when I go home pre heat the car and turn just front defroster to heat. What I have found in messing with settings is I can get the front and rear but the side windows don’t defrost all that well. I think part of it is just the difference in how the heating system works in the EV compared to a ICE and I need to get used to the change.

I’ll try the auto to see if I was doing it correctly.

What fan speed(s) do you typically use?

In all but the most extreme conditions (which Alaska might qualify as), manual settings are often less effective than automatic.

I just took delivery of a new Model 3 in september. I live in seattle. I drove it out yesterday at night, in the cold and rain, and the front windshield got fogged up. Switching on the front windshield defroster did not have any affect. It was really dangerous driving at night with a front defroster not working.

Any body else having this problem?

I live in Florida and have the same problem. I thought it was user error, that I just couldn't find the sweet spot to defrost my windshield. I will try some of these recommendations!