Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front end rattle/clunk noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem from Day 1 on a March 2019 SR+ build received April 6. I have heard similar sounds from previous cars when ball joints were going, and in one case where the brake caliper pad retainer springs were missing. It is getting worse after less than 300 miles of driving. Time to schedule service. I also have to reboot the display more than half the time before driving as it is just black when the car powers on. I can still drive it like that, but with no information and no controls it is not much fun.

Same problem from Day 1 on a March 2019 SR+ build received April 6. I have heard similar sounds from previous cars when ball joints were going, and in one case where the brake caliper pad retainer springs were missing. It is getting worse after less than 300 miles of driving. Time to schedule service. I also have to reboot the display more than half the time before driving as it is just black when the car powers on. I can still drive it like that, but with no information and no controls it is not much fun.

If it was happening from day 1 then you should definitely book a service appointment. You can do that in your Tesla app.

If it was happening from day 1 then you should definitely book a service appointment. You can do that in your Tesla app.
Mobile Service technician just left. Said it was normal and all the M3s he has tried do that. He said the M3 "resonates" more than most cars. As far as I am concerned, it is not normal, and there is a production fix required. Our Smart ED doesn't do that and our 20 year-old Civic didn't do that, on the same road. The technician torqued everything and checked everything, lowered the tire pressure to 40 psi.

In addition, the car has never been able to connect to WiFi (finds zero networks while my phone finds 10 networks while I'm sitting in the car) and intermittently disconnects from Bluetooth randomly. New antennae have been ordered with an estimate of 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, I will try the "repaired" car, and report back. VIN # 321XXX.

Similar problem here. Just started tonight, with similar symptoms. Rattles at lower speed (<40km/h), front end and seems suspension related. Barely noticeable at higher speeds.

Here's an audio recording as an example. There are a couple of spots where the phone is vibrating on the center console, but you can hear the rattles over the road noise.

TeslaFrontEndRattle.mp3

This is the *exact* problem I'm having in my Aug '18 RWD LR. I have taken it to the SC in Austin, but the roads there are so smooth that it's hard to get it to happen. I'm going tomorrow and will bring your audio clip to show them the noise, and we're driving into Austin proper so I can reproduce it for them. I'm tired of them saying it's normal. Suspensions shouldn't make any noise like this.

Similar problem here. Just started tonight, with similar symptoms. Rattles at lower speed (<40km/h), front end and seems suspension related. Barely noticeable at higher speeds.

Here's an audio recording as an example. There are a couple of spots where the phone is vibrating on the center console, but you can hear the rattles over the road noise.

TeslaFrontEndRattle.mp3

Had the same noise as @darkenergy. Took it the first service center and they stated it was a normal sound for a Gen1 steering rack and sent me on my way. Noise increased slowly over 2 months so I took it to another service center and they took no convincing and said that was not normal. They replaced the steering rack and the noise is 90% gone but still present.

Concern: Customer states: Rattle noise from front end. Had 1st service center investigate and concluded it was steering
rack. Rattle noise is now louder and occurs over all types of uneven roads.

Confirmed customers concern Recommend follow TB # 38840 Service technician replaced steering rack with 2nd
generation per tool box article 38840 Performed 4 wheel alignment after steering rack replacement Verified vehicle is
functioning as designed

Correction: Steering Rack

Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity
RWK STEERING GEAR ASSY, LHD(1044831-99-E) 1.0

Concern: Customer states: Rattle noise from front end. Had 1st service center investigate and concluded it was steering
rack. Rattle noise is now louder and occurs over all types of uneven roads.

Confirmed customers concern Recommend follow TB # 38840 Service technician replaced steering rack with 2nd
generation per tool box article 38840 Performed 4 wheel alignment after steering rack replacement Verified vehicle is
functioning as designed

Correction: Steering Rack

Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity
RWK STEERING GEAR ASSY, LHD(1044831-99-E) 1.0

Thanks for that info @Dag If it comes back I'll be able to point them at that fix!

I just got back from my third visit for this same issue. First two times the service centre told me that there was nothing wrong and if they couldn't replicate the issue that I was out of luck. The third time (took it to a different place) they hoisted it up and said that everything was perfectly normal.
It seems to me that if this many people are describing a problem that they should be able to diagnose it without all of this hassle. I'm at the point where I'd like to take it to a normal shop and have them repair it. The problem it seems is Tesla service centers there is no incentive find a problem, whereas a shop that operates for profit on repairs will take the time to find and solve that problem.

Did they at least re-torque the suspension when they said everything was normal? I would ask about that. Suspension torque problems can cause some noises on Model 3.

Unfortunately it's not super easy to re-torque, so i could imagine they maybe skipped that. For example, you have to get the car up on a lift and then jack up the rear wheels so that you can torque them while at ride-height (unless Tesla has a pit type service area).