Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody install the sunshade on their 3 yet? I am interested in seeing how easy it attaches, if it integrates somewhat seamlessly with the roof, and how well it works. I realize that winter may not be the best time for the sunshade but hotter temperatures are right around the corner in Texas!

Reactions: DR61
Anybody install the sunshade on their 3 yet? I am interested in seeing how easy it attaches, if it integrates somewhat seamlessly with the roof, and how well it works. I realize that winter may not be the best time for the sunshade but hotter temperatures are right around the corner in Texas!
The design is similar to what the X uses for the upper part of the windshield sunshade. Would assume it installs similar and works just as well. I'm sure there is videos on youtube showing how that one installs.

I got mine. Coating it in Alcantara. Not a joke. It also fits the rear portion by about 90%, but reduces headroom by about 2 inches. Ordering a second then to make modifications. I know it sounds strange, but I want complete blackout. To each his/her own sunshade.

Install is 2 seconds. The tabs on edges slip into gap between Alcantara headliner and roof.

I got mine. Coating it in Alcantara. Not a joke. It also fits the rear portion by about 90%, but reduces headroom by about 2 inches. Ordering a second then to make modifications. I know it sounds strange, but I want complete blackout. To each his/her own sunshade.

Install is 2 seconds. The tabs on edges slip into gap between Alcantara headliner and roof.

Be sure to post pictures when you are done, it sounds interesting. I am guessing that since the shade is framed by the roof on all sides and not just on 3 sides like the X, that the shade does not droop and is tight?

Thanks for the back fit info too!

Reactions: insaneoctane
Wouldn't you be better off applying ceramic tint to the whole car instead? But of course you'll end up paying $700+ rather than ~$70 for the sun shade.

I plan on applying tint on the rest of the windows but I will probably want the ability to have more or less roof shade depending on time of year, making the sunshade the best option. Maybe I'll even make a blackout shade like @outdoors just to have the option.

Who knows though, I'll drive the car for a couple weeks before I make any decisions.

Reactions: rsbell
Anyone still interested in hearing about the sunshade on this thread. I have it and installed it. Nothing special, works as designed. Here is a pic and video:

4BYGPzSE0BoUHfwaBChbym4okXakbww6HIagv7lL44LP-qxSN1Y40hfVaeixY59-p2nocwPXF2GCR4fwuMl-Z1z_9rkWx0CzUsEqTk8pxXJMDiYJYuYLMRoV8LYld6sp8H7ZPJuv_8G6X_czyFLBm3_29-NvuPlWC2xsva7iw5a8erybeo3FLDFItpGW_YCaFcbhHXKURo9B81i5-gcSeBrWVyc8Iqg07XcIdpbw0S6mRXBQBKkuTMET8X5wwtnZjR05B7FcX_vNHTljuZwedh7PZbl4O2JvJRA8z3GvwoxNPF8dF7uYMUHxyF5VQZB5Mb5HJ9lkX622Vo3Eoo7iVQkNgbrYfoZUjolSDNMvWPuAa2gK4rOIgaW1LQHG4SQkqZRkPrbe4Jn7PwgFi5oskzFq7ys8CNDNG4q5AiCRmzmtEFOGxShtkOLM8do0lYoqTLVRWVrZ3J495Ml9ZFxDOjBRBvajFENG6FOfc0l6e56ZNK9BH4eqF32hQGU_prpstIF4XVe2wThhvrAFVsjZUQxZZJXyhKgMrMTq1rUAz4j5eB4mw2_-MANKlLroqbjq2pfPP6NG4dg0Sj2L5Q1i2Y3OVvu8y9dWTQUndmBl=w1718-h1289-no

Video:

Yes, it's a good fit. There is a tiny gap at the very front of mine but it's nothing I'm concerned about. You can see it in the very beginning of the video. Other than that, it fits perfectly and has no sag or buckle to it.

In your opinion, is it worth it? I'm a bald redhead in Atlanta, so protecting the dome is a bit of a concern for me. :D

In your opinion, is it worth it? I'm a bald redhead in Atlanta, so protecting the dome is a bit of a concern for me. :D

It makes the wife happy, so worth every penny to me. Seriously though, it's obviously a premium price and there may be aftermarket options popping up that are similar for less. The main reason I got it was to cut down on the glare of the sun when it's in "just that right spot in the sky" and catches your eye at an angle. As for heat/sun irritation to the skin, I don't think that's a significant issue due to the tint/filters in the glass. It was mainly to cut down on the glare coming in for my wife and it does the job.

FYI... Tesla actually replied back with this:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Tesla.

A reship of the clips for the sunshade has been requested. These will ship directly to your home via FedEx 2day in an envelope.

Let us know if you have any other questions.