Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Looks like Tesla is looking to use the Camera Cabin camera to bypass the OCS sensor to meet this requirement soon. FWIW, the only purpose the sensor is determine if the airbags should deploy (I don't think it adjusts based on weight/force) if its an adult or a child, or not at all.
Thanks! I just got the rcm_a056 in service only mode. Are you saying I should wait it out? I was surprised I do not see it customer facing.

Whats the worst that happens if this is not fix/ corrected?

Thanks in advance!

IMO the worse that can happen is if the airbags don't deploy in the event of a crash while you have a passenger sitting there. Not sure how it operates entirely but it is definitely a safety issue.

If you're within the SRS warranty period (60,000 miles), I'd absolutely try to rely on getting a fix before relying on the camera only solution (we all know how long it took for Vision only system to eventually get parity to the USS).

I'm in the same boat. $1285 CAD to replace the passenger airbag to address the issue. I have the inline magnetic filter.

I was considering waiting for a possible OTA update to leverage the camera but also wondered how long it would take and if a 2018 M3 would get the update.

@soccertime3000 said:
Whats the worst that happens if this is not fix/ corrected?

From previous posts, it seems the airbag would deploy at full force rather than limiting it for lighter passengers, but there seems to be mixed comments on that.