Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Seat Folding Down for Long Loads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the Model 3, the Model Y front passenger seat does not appear to fold fully flat. In other crossovers or wagons, the front seat can fold flat. This allows for long loads that run all the way from the tailgate to the dashboard. For example, the front passenger seat in my wagon folds forward all the way flat, allowing for items 9' ft in length to be carried, like my 9' longboard and my 8'10" SUP. An alternative approach is to pull the headrest up and out, then fold the front passenger seat all the way back and flat. Unfortunately, the Model Y headrest does not seem to allow for this either. Having to use roof racks for long items would be a drag.

Am I missing something here? Note that I have seen others fit a longer surboard into a Model 3 diagonally trough the gap between the front seats, but this really is not a good long term approach (interior scuffing, etc).

I was really looking forward to getting a Model Y to replace my gas engined wagon, but this lack of fold-flat makes it less desirable.

I seem to recall that there was a change in seat regulations due to crashes. We used to have a Ford Flex as a company car and in trying to find out how to fold down the seat for a trip to Home Depot I found out that our year was the first year after the change.

CA_Vagabond - Do you think that regulation change impacted seats folding forward or folding back?

My 2005 IS300 SportCross wagon has a really good fold flat implementation, but that car is 15 years old now. Our 2008 Volvo C30 did not have the fold forward feature (but there was an optional seat that did). But the Volvo had a "secret" button beneath the seat back fabric that allowed the headrest to be removed, so folding back flat worked pretty well. I actually looked for a hidden mechanism in Tesla Model 3 that would allow the headrest to be released and pulled up and out, but no such luck.

Uncle Paul - I can see how that approach would work for Model X. It's bigger inside than the Y, but maybe there would just enough room in the Y to use the same approach.

I am going through the same consternation myself .
You can take out that headrest but it's still not ideal.
My Integra surf beater finally died at 320k . I could take
out the front seat in that and get a 7.5 to 8.5 ft sailboad in
plus all the masts and sails. Even if you take the headrest out
it the seat does not go that far back in the Y. Since and electric car's
range will be pretty sensitive to what goes on the Roof
this is a big problem. Measured a Y today 84 inches on the
diagonal 74 inches to the back seat with the passenger seat all the
way foward. Range and racking would not be a problem around
town but for long Highway trips with a couple lf boards in board
bags it could be a huge range sucker. I say a model x guy put his
board up the center but that would be risking the touch screen in
heavy braking.

Currently using a BMW Wagon . I can take out the Head Rest and lean
the passanger seat back far enough to rest a board over that . I do tie
it down to prevent it going foward . The Bmw has plenty of tie down's in
the Trunk . VW's used to have the fold flat front seat in the tiguan .

Last edited: