Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front suspension clunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Bought a 2016 model S a few weeks back and started noticing some nasty clunks and knocks from from left of car.

Told dealer who agreed I for Tesla to look at it... so far they replaced sway bar link arm, track rod end, lower control arms but, whilst it has significantly improved things, there is still a knock, that can be felt through the floor, when cornering at slow speed out of a sloped junction with slightly uneven roads.

The 3rd party dealer (having spent upwards of £2k on this so far) is getting tetchy with Tesla (understandably) - my question is, what’s left to replace that could be causing this problem?

...and why haven’t Tesla managed to identify all the faulty parts!

Thanks.

Hi guys,

Bought a 2016 model S a few weeks back and started noticing some nasty clunks and knocks from from left of car.

Told dealer who agreed I for Tesla to look at it... so far they replaced sway bar link arm, track rod end, lower control arms but, whilst it has significantly improved things, there is still a knock, that can be felt through the floor, when cornering at slow speed out of a sloped junction with slightly uneven roads.

That sounds like a failing CV joint to me. Were the rubber boots inspected for leaks or signs of failure?

That’s a good question thank you... I would have hoped they would check for that, when I have it to them next I’ll try to speak to the technician.

I’m glad the lower control arms were done - I’ve read some scary stories on forums of them failing on my year of car!

anyone have any other thoughts or past experiences with knocks like this?

That sounds like a failing CV joint to me. Were the rubber boots inspected for leaks or signs of failure?
Back in the days when I drove dodgy second-hand cars the standard test for C.V. joints when buying was put on full lock and drive slowly in a circle. If there was any clonking run away.
You are right it does sound similar to the Ops problem.
But isn't that on page one of "Suspension Faults For Dummys?" surely they couldn't have replaced half the suspension and missed that.....?

Back in the days when I drove dodgy second-hand cars the standard test for C.V. joints when buying was put on full lock and drive slowly in a circle. If there was any clonking run away.
You are right it does sound similar to the Ops problem.
But isn't that on page one of "Suspension Faults For Dummys?" surely they couldn't have replaced half the suspension and missed that.....?

Hanlon's Razor applies. Do not attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence or stupidity.
They've replace half the suspension but the problem still exists. Therefore the replaced items weren't the root cause. The replaced items have improved the situation according to the OP, perhaps they were masking a failing CV with louder noises emanating from failing suspension bushes?

Whatever is the cause it's clear that the first repair didn't have adequate trouble-shooting or post-repair testing.

I admit it sounds a lot like the description of a bad cv joint... but like you say, wouldn’t they have checked that!?!

I’m hoping they will take another look soon, and I’ll mention cv joints as a suggested area to look at.

I’ll also try the reversing with full lock trick and see if it makes a noise in that situation.

Afternoon all - just stumbled across this thread and think I may have a similar issue.

Here's a clip of the sound I hear when driving at slow speeds with the steering wheel turned (in this case it's maybe about three-quarters of the way turned).

Car's currently in service and Tesla's trotting out the line, "our techs can't reproduce..." and I'm trying to give them some guidance/ideas of where to look.

Thanks!

That fits with my vague memory that there may be a known issue with these shafts causing noises.

The original problem was to do with the haf shaft support braket (I think). On my S it manifested as a clunky rumble when accelerating hard from stationary whch made it a tad awkward and exciting to reproduce for the tech in Birmingham traffic.Redesigned parts were fitted.

Afternoon all - just stumbled across this thread and think I may have a similar issue.

Here's a clip of the sound I hear when driving at slow speeds with the steering wheel turned (in this case it's maybe about three-quarters of the way turned).

Car's currently in service and Tesla's trotting out the line, "our techs can't reproduce..." and I'm trying to give them some guidance/ideas of where to look.

Thanks!
Hi, did you manage to get to the bottom of this? Your video is helpful, sounds a lot like the sound mine makes and Tesla are recommending replacing the near side drive shaft... they say my noise is clearly rotational in nature... does that make sense as being potentially drive shaft?

Many thanks.

I bought this kit some time ago as I was struggling with noises in my M3P that Tesla couldn't "reproduce". I brought it to them only to find out that they too have the same kit and didn't bother to use it during testing. Doh! Once I pushed them they actually did mount the microphones to each suspension knuckle (inside the arm) and we then could isolate the noise for further debugging. I kept the kit anyway as it's been useful for eliminating rattles in all areas of the car:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K3XZR7...wg=jQi8s&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_2_img

I suspect you have a half shaft problem as this is common in the X/S but typically you will feel and hear a "shudder" under hard acceleration. It's impossible not to notice it when the half shaft is failing.

I'm also having a single very loud clunk or pop in the front end - when starting out - in forward or reverse or turning, or when going over a road undulation at slow speed. It almost seems like something broke off or came loose every time it happens. Someone said there's a recall for this in the states? Is that correct? Late 2020 Model 3, 31K miles, stock car, 18" tires.

I'm also having a single very loud clunk or pop in the front end - when starting out - in forward or reverse or turning, or when going over a road undulation at slow speed. It almost seems like something broke off or came loose every time it happens. Someone said there's a recall for this in the states? Is that correct? Late 2020 Model 3, 31K miles, stock car, 18" tires.
You've strayed into the UK forum. We know nothing about US recalls. You could try booking a service on the app and see what Tesla say. or check Recalls | NHTSA.

Reactions: M3noob