Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Undertray

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I discovered this unexpectedly. I'm certain I didn't scrape the bottom or side to cause this. When I try to push it back into place, it feels as though it was glued together. There's no slot for it to snap back into. Tesla is invoicing me for $290 -.-

Attachments

• 20240514_160843.jpg
    20240514_160843.jpg
    646.7 KB · Views: 9
FWIW, the official name is Front Aero Shield. It's made out of a pressed fiberboard and is not nearly durable enough for what it does. There are aluminum replacements available (I think on Amazon - haven't checked myself but others have posted here about them) and as long as you can get under the car, should be an easy DIY; you just may need to get new fasteners from Tesla.

But last August, I had them replace mine (with the same crappy material) and it was $166.32 parts (+ tax) and $43.32 labor.

Edited to add a screenshot of the invoice.

IMG_8115.jpeg

I'd just glue it back and hold it with tape until it dried! That's me, though.
I'd probably just buy a roll of black gorilla tape, tape it and call it a day. No one will see it anyways.

If I was more concerned about looks, I would probably remove the whole part, tape it from the inside, and optionally glue it. But I would leave tape on the inside, as I wouldn't trust the glue to necessarily hold it.
FWIW, the official name is Front Aero Shield. It's made out of a pressed fiberboard and is not nearly durable enough for what it does. There are aluminum replacements available (I think on Amazon - haven't checked myself but others have posted here about them) and as long as you can get under the car, should be an easy DIY; you just may need to get new fasteners from Tesla.

But last August, I had them replace mine (with the same crappy material) and it was $166.32 parts (+ tax) and $43.32 labor.

Edited to add a screenshot of the invoice.

View attachment 1053561
Even though both parts are part of the "Front Undertray", the part that looks broken in the OP doesn't appear to be the aero shield. The aero shield is actually the middle square section. The part that looks broken seems to be the "VALANCE FRONT FASCIA", which is the part in the front.

Front_Undertray.svg

You can see the parts are different in the EPC:
1VALANCE FRONT FASCIA1084174-00-D

This is the actual aero shield.
4FRONT AERO SHIELD
For M3s built on or before June 9, 2022 there is going to be a non perfect fir with the original wheel liners, however, engineering has confirmed the aeroshield can still be fully secured and aerodynamic on the car is estimated to be only impacted by -0.5 mph. It was then approved to keep using this latest aeroshield without any coordinated change on the wheel liners.
1499151-00-C

Parts Catalog

This is off topic for the OP, but with the note about compatibility on aero shield, it seems that they have since changed the part. I looked it up on Ebay and the new aeroshield (1499151-00-C) is actually hard plastic.

The previous version (1104312-00-B) was fabric:
TESLA MODEL 3 AERO SHIELD COVER FRONT 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 OEM

I'd just glue it back and hold it with tape until it dried! That's me, though.

Any chance Krazy Glue may keep that in place?

I'd probably just buy a roll of black gorilla tape, tape it and call it a day. No one will see it anyways.

Not a chance, for either gluing or taping front felt-like fiberboard undertray together. The material is far too fragile, and far too porous to be repaired. It's also pretty cheap to replace, as posts above stated.

If you don't feel like jacking the car back up to replace the under-tray again and again (I did it 2x before wising up), get this MPP aluminum undertrain:

I did it after the second felt OEM piece disintegrated.
Problem solved for good. $295 shipped, with all the mounting hardware.

It takes longer to put the car on jack stands / lift, then it takes to replace the shield.
2 beers job, max.

HTH,
a

Reactions: Mercimek
Not a chance, for either gluing or taping front felt-like fiberboard undertray together. The material is far too fragile, and far too porous to be repaired. It's also pretty cheap to replace, as posts above stated.

If you don't feel like jacking the car back up to replace the under-tray again and again (I did it 2x before wising up), get this MPP aluminum undertrain:

I did it after the second felt OEM piece disintegrated.
Problem solved for good. $295 shipped, with all the mounting hardware.

It takes longer to put the car on jack stands / lift, then it takes to replace the shield.
2 beers job, max.

HTH,
a
As I noted in my post, the part that broke for the OP is the front valence, NOT the aero shield. As far as I know, that part was always hard plastic (it is on mine too with the PWS speaker grille). As such you very much can tape or glue it.

Here's one without the speaker grille (which predates my 2021 delivered late 2020) and you can see it is hard plastic:
s-l1600.webp

OP can spend ~$5 for a roll of gorilla tape, ~$100-200 for one off eBay, or pay Tesla more to install one. Their choice, I'm just saying gorilla tape is what I would personally do if it happened to me. I would do it anyways as a temporary measure, since that dangling part looks like it will snap off any moment and then OP would lose the choice.

The aluminium part you linked is not the part that broke for the OP. His part is ahead of the front wheels. I don't think they make an aluminum version of the front valence.

Last edited: