Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fronts Windscreen keeps steaming up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla automatically puts the recirc on when AC is switched on (automatically when you defog or demist). This again makes the misting up worse. I normally switch off the recirc and this helps to demist quickly as the cold air doesn’t recirculate.
Good move
having recirculate on probably makes sense in warm wet weather when the outside air is very wet and the AC can dry the internal air
but in cold weather like now where the AC will not really be working to dry the air having recirculate on on sounds like a bad idea

If warm air blown directly and strongly on the windscreen does not clear it then the air being blown has too high a relative humidity.
What I am saying is if you can feel the warm air actually being blown at the screen then the air in your car may be too damp. is there anything wet been left in the car? have you had any leaks ( might want to check!).
if its an older M3 I would take up the carpet and check for water in the boot! only maybe try the glass cleaner thing first. might be easier!

I have checked all the carpets, boot etc and they are all perfectly dry. The air is hot and blowing at the windscreen but the auto-defogging stays on for ages, even when the screen is clear. When it finally stops defogging if I get out of the car then back in it immediately starts auto-defogging again even with a warm car and clear screen!

Tesla automatically puts the recirc on when AC is switched on (automatically when you defog or demist). This again makes the misting up worse. I normally switch off the recirc and this helps to demist quickly as the cold air doesn’t recirculate.

When my auto-defog is running the AC is not on according to the display and the air is not on recirculation.

That is unusual as mine normally switch on the AC if I touch to defog or defrost and by default I think it will go to recirculation mode.
Mine doesn't. The only way I can get AC or recirculation is to change to manual. Can you double check how yours works if you have a minute next time you drive? Having the AC set to off really doesn't help with defogging, and often will make it worse if the weather is cold & humid. I may log a service request if mine is behaving differently than others, I'm sure it's supposed to use the AC when on auto.