Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fronts Windscreen keeps steaming up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I have never had problem with this before but recently the front windscreen on my model Y keeps steaming up and it takes ages to clear.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Any more info?
Has this has co-incided with the cold weather?
Is this before you get in?
just after you set off?
while driving?
how many people in the car?

What happens if you use the demist windscreen button does that not work relatively quickly?

I’ve noticed a bit of steaming on the windscreen when the fan comes on but it clears very quickly as the heating comes on. I had the first de- ice of the winter on Saturday. Not quite as quick as my old pre heat pump Model 3 but still much quicker than any ICE without an electric screen.

I have this too, first winter it's been a problem. I left some sipping wet stuff in the underboot a month or 2 ago - I suspect these things are related. Must take the lining out and sort it out.

I had this issue yesterday with 3 people in the car (cold & drizzly weather). I did notice that with the climate on Auto if the cabin is cold, it forces the AC to off & you can't turn it back on unless you change to manual. If the AC is off, the inside of the car will steam up pretty quickly (AC dehumidifies). I was sure this wasn't the case before, I'd never had any condensation issues last winter.

For the first 20 minutes of my journey yesterday the condensation was getting worse, not better. To the point all the side windows were steamed completely & I almost had to wipe the windscreen to see...

We were parked up this afternoon. When we got back in the car a bit of misting lower windscreen passenger side but it cleared very quick on auto.

I noticed other cars parked at same location were totally misted up - far worse than ours. The moment sun started going down temperature started to plummet.

I just put it down to time of year and wet weather over previous few days. Expecting car to be a bit of a mare next few mornings. It’s damp and cold - our car hates it. Hope I managed to get the gummi pfledge on the seals in time. There are parts of the car that cabin heat never reach.

I tend to find this is due to the residue on the inside of the windscreen. This was happening prior to me taking my car to get cleaned. The guys cleaned the inside of the windows and whist it does still condensate on the inside, it clears really quickly.

It’s good to give the car a 10 minute warm up via the app before setting off… not had steamed windows so far. I leave the hvac on auto …
Of course even auto has three manual fan settings these days high/medium/low . Unless you are hypermiling, and particularly in cold weather, probably need to leave that on high so auto is not constrained. I imagine the low setting would slow down screen demisting.

Reactions: Adopado
For me the de-fogging is no good at all. Even on maximum de-fogging it takes at least 4 minutes to mostly clear the windscreen.
On our Leaf pressing the windscreen demise button put the fan on maximum, AC and heater on and clears the screen in 3 to 4 seconds.

I have checked to see if the air intake is clear and have had the cabin filters replaced too. Anything else I should check?

I noticed other cars parked at same location were totally misted up

I think (until corrected!) that its related to the air that is in the car - that got in there when it was warmer, and once cooled, e.g. overnight, the relative humidity increases and its going to condense. As well as turning on screen MAX I open all the windows for first 1/2 mile of my journey to replace the cabin air with outside stuff which I assume will have lower relative humidity

For me the de-fogging is no good at all. Even on maximum de-fogging it takes at least 4 minutes to mostly clear the windscreen.
On our Leaf pressing the windscreen demise button put the fan on maximum, AC and heater on and clears the screen in 3 to 4 seconds.

I have checked to see if the air intake is clear and have had the cabin filters replaced too. Anything else I should check?
What model and age do you have?
If warm air blown directly and strongly on the windscreen does not clear it then the air being blown has too high a relative humidity.
What I am saying is if you can feel the warm air actually being blown at the screen then the air in your car may be too damp. is there anything wet been left in the car? have you had any leaks ( might want to check!).
if its an older M3 I would take up the carpet and check for water in the boot! only maybe try the glass cleaner thing first. might be easier!

Reactions: Planky
Tesla automatically puts the recirc on when AC is switched on (automatically when you defog or demist). This again makes the misting up worse. I normally switch off the recirc and this helps to demist quickly as the cold air doesn’t recirculate.