Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

frost/ cold battery icon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
I'm in PHX and it was in the 40s last night. The frost/ cold battery light came on when I left the garage door open :(

Anything I need to do b/f driving or charging? I realize that regen might be limited.

Since I don't have to go anywhere I can just leave the car be till it warms up.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
the car manages all of that, so you dont need to do anything. when the battery warms up, it will go away... no need for you to take any special actions. You just need to be aware that the regen may be limited as you already are. and the car will use more energy to go the same distance, because it will warm the battery while you drive it.

Thanks. Does cabin temp make a difference? Leaving the car in the sun :)
As other poster said, just let it be. no need to try to remedy it. As for leaving the car in the sun, it depends. Example, if it is a lot colder outside than in a garage, then putting it in the sun likely is not going to heat the battery shaded under the car and close to the ground. That ambient shaded temperature has a bigger effect. You might actually make the battery colder while thinking the sun is going to help. I guess eventually the sun will help as the outside temperature rises. I think you are focusing on this too much.

When you leave, a few minutes of driving is going to eventually warm it up.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
IMG_7704.jpg
I had 55 degree in the garage here in northern California and saw the blue Icon next to the battery..

Weird you all have the snowflake well above freezing. Im in North Dakota, and temps haven't been above -4 for a few days, dipping down to -25 a few days ago on my morning drive to work. the only time I've gotten the snowflake is when the car sits overnight in the garage. garage thermostat showed around 10 and cabin was 15 per the app the first time the snowflake appeared. and I've only seen it 3 times since i took delivery on 20 Dec. For what its worth, besides full power and regen being limited, i haven't noticed anything different.