Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen charge port, how to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello good afternoon! I’m in Kansas with weather being below 30 degrees F throughout the month of January. I have been trying to super charge but I keep on getting messages that the port latch is frozen so it won’t connect. I tried the hand warmer method then I tried it again and it didn’t work. Right now I am charging with level 2 charger and even then I am getting barley 3w while getting this message “Charge rate reduced - Charge port may be frozen” . Any tips I can do to fix this? I would say that the latch is probably broken or frozen because I don’t hear it latch to anything. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0926.jpeg
    IMG_0926.jpeg
    509.4 KB · Views: 31
So I had this same issue just yesterday / this morning (as can be seen from my above screenshot).

If the charging handle can't latch, the car charges at a reduced rate.

What I did was took the charge handle out and poured hot water right into the charge port. The water wasn't boiling, but it wasn't just hot tap water either (Sunbeam Hot Shot Black Water Dispenser - Walmart.com).

Immediately after pouring the water in, I plugged the charge handle back in and it latched and started charging. Problem solved.

The only real concern I have with doing this is that the water is so hot it can probably damage plastic parts. Next time I'll use hot tap water.

Any concerns of electrocution are unfounded. If the charge port and handle were dangerous when wet, they'd be killing people every time it rained.

Upvote 0