Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk not secure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possibly I'm mistaken but from watching the video related to firefighter extraction techniques it appears that anyone with knowledge of where the release strap is can simply open the trunk on the model x. Is that correct?

One of the very odd side effects of deciding to not have any physical key for any access to the Model S or X was that a dead 12 volt battery prevents any access to the car. In pre 2016 S the mitigation was to pry off the nose cone and jump a 12 volt supply to jumper terminals behind the nose cone. In 2026 they moved the terminals to the firewall area, so that did not work any more. They switched to yanking cables attached to the latches because access to the jumper points would otherwise be impossible.

So yes, it is now just security through obscurity. All in order to not have a physical lock cylinder and a physical key for emergency access, either to driver door or frunk.

• Informative
Reactions: newtman
Is there no alarm on the car? Is it not possible to hotwire/steal a Model X?
There is an alarm. Don't know if it activates with frunk opening.
You can't hotwire any EV. It's supposed to be possible to start it if you have enough computer equipment and access to the interior data port. It's also possible to use the App if you have guessed the MyTesla password, so keep them secret and complex. The practical ways to steal a Tesla are to steal the fob or tow the car.

Possibly I'm mistaken but from watching the video related to firefighter extraction techniques it appears that anyone with knowledge of where the release strap is can simply open the trunk on the model x. Is that correct?

The two straps have to be pulled in sequence. I haven't seen any reports of someone testing it, but my current theory is that this access method will only work if there is no 12 V power - that the car either holds the latches shut or will reset them when pulled while there is power.

The two straps have to be pulled in sequence. I haven't seen any reports of someone testing it, but my current theory is that this access method will only work if there is no 12 V power - that the car either holds the latches shut or will reset them when pulled while there is power.
This sounds like something you can try. Let us know if you do.

Another way someone can steal a Tesla (or any car for that matter) is forcefully in your presence. But hopefully the car garners enough attention that would-be car-jackers stay away...but it also makes it a target.

This sounds like something you can try. Let us know if you do.

Another way someone can steal a Tesla (or any car for that matter) is forcefully in your presence. But hopefully the car garners enough attention that would-be car-jackers stay away...but it also makes it a target.

If an answer hasn't been established by then, I will undoubtedly try it if/when my X shows up - but my order only confirmed three weeks ago, and might possibly arrive in July, maybe (can't get any real answers so far, but the "July Delivery" from the initial order screen is seeming a little unlikely.)