Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk won't latch. Simple fix.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago the primary frunk latch on my 2015 Model S failed. No amount of pushing down on the frunk would cause it to latch. The secondary latch would still hold the frunk open a couple inches, but it didn't seem safe to drive on the highway under these conditions. So I requested service and they scheduled me for mobile service in a week. Then later they said I would have to come into the (Dedham, MA) service center, and they made me an appointment for three weeks out.

Not wanting to have an undrivable car for three weeks, I investigated and was able to fix the problem myself. See picture below, looking into the latching mechanism. Down is toward the front of the car. When you push the release button inside the frunk, the actuator pulls on the cable that you can see and moves the metal fitting to the left. After a short interval it releases and the fitting moves back to the right. However, in my case the fitting was stuck most of the way to the left with slack in the cable. Pushing the button pulled the cable and moved the fitting a little to the left and then it moved back where it was, sticking once again.

I sprayed it with WD40, but the behavior was unchanged. So I pushed the fitting back into the idle position fully to the right using a screwdriver. After that, everything started working correctly. When I push the button it moves to the left and then returns to the right, and when I push the frunk closed it correctly clicks into place in the fully closed position.
frunk-latch-1.jpg