Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrations after 6 weeks of ownership - Please read if you are to take delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It all went pair shaped once my windshield was damaged after a large nail dropped from an apartment on the 16th floor on my car. Luckily the contractor responsible for renovating that apartment agreed to pay for the windshield to be replaced.

However, after we received the car back, we noticed that after a day or 2, an annoying noise was coming from the headliner on the passenger side. I took it back to Tesla to be fixed. Trying to call the service center was a nightmare - I would be put on hold and asked to take a message. Eventually I got the car back and insisted on them delivering the car to my address. After I got the car, the noise came back after 1 day of use and the centre console was loose and had cables sticking out of it! I asked them to take the car back again. After having to make numerous complaints, they finally agreed to give me a courtesy car (Model S 60). The car has been at the service centre now for 4 days. They re-replaced the windshield and say there is no noise but will undergo further testing before returning it to me tomorrow. It appears that when they installed the new windscreen they didn't install it properly.

This is clearly unacceptable. Other niggles:

1) 3G. Yes I have powersave off and always connected. I have to re-boot the car almost every time I get into it. This is supposed to be fixed with the new software update that will come by the end of this month! I don't know what the hold up is here.

2) Charging port. I complained about me having to press the button on the charging device several times before it opens. You are not going to believe what I heard: "Ah yes, this is a problem in Hong Kong due to the humidity".....I am like: "Give me a break!" Firstly, we are in winter now and this is probably the time of year with the least humidity. Secondly, you would think they would have tested this thing in humid places before!

Suggestions for Tesla.

The after sales service is experience in Hong Kong is HORRIBLE. Its not that the people are not nice. They are extremely polite. BUT, I feel they lack some professionalism and more importantly, they are simply UNDERSTAFFED! One Saturday I was shocked to find out that only 1 technician was working at their service centre - 1! There must be at least 3,000 Teslas on the road in Hong Kong and I think they only have 2 or 3 courtesy cars and not enough staff.

It would seem that the after sales service experience in other countries is the complete opposite. I would be far less angry if every time there is a problem with my car, they quickly offer a courtesy car. Yes, some will say that BMW or Mercedes do not do that. But given the niggling issues that the Model S seem to have, they really should go out of their way to make sure they still provide me with a good experience.

----

The irony is, I still love the car! It is a great car to drive. But I constantly worry about what is going to go wrong next and how I will have to deal with the service centre once again.

Only one tech on a Saturday? Is it normal there for an automaker to have technicians on weekends? Around here I don't know of any traditional dealer that has any technicians on weekends.

They're open Mon-Sat in HK. Weird though to hear there's only 1 tech on Sat; management would know they'd be losing money on utilities alone for turning on the lights just for 1 guy! Maybe they were all out on lunch?

Hi,

I have the same problems about 3G and charging port ... Here are the solutions :

1/ for 3G , Powersave should be off and always connected should be off too !! When both are off, you are really always connected ... ( Firmware 6.2 issues )

2/ for the charging port, it is a design problem for the HK version Model S, the aerial that receive the push button signal is actually located at the rear trunk lid and above the number plate. Next time when you want to open the port, just hold the charger a bit further to the rear and close to the position above the number plate. After a few times, you will know where to point to open the port.

Chris

...an annoying noise was coming from the headliner on the passenger side.

I have a rattling noise in the ceiling after getting the windshield replaced. I used a small microphone and made a video to try to isolate the source of the noise. Is this where your noise is coming from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my car back last Friday (follow on from original post) and upon delivery it had a different noise from a different area of the headliner. Sent it back straight away. This time I went bananas and spent a good couple of hours trying to harass everyone at the service centre including the most senior person threatening to go the press. That consistent harassment seemed to pay off as I could tell from my mobile app that they were working on it constantly. I picked it up last night and gave it a thorough test drive.

FINALLY! Back to normal with no noise to speak of. Also, there was a small firmware update I had installed (not the 7.0) that appears to have solved the 3G connection issue which is another added bonus.

Hopefully that is the end of my dramas so I can finally get to enjoy the car.

Got my car back last Friday (follow on from original post) and upon delivery it had a different noise from a different area of the headliner. Sent it back straight away. This time I went bananas and spent a good couple of hours trying to harass everyone at the service centre including the most senior person threatening to go the press. That consistent harassment seemed to pay off as I could tell from my mobile app that they were working on it constantly. I picked it up last night and gave it a thorough test drive.

FINALLY! Back to normal with no noise to speak of. Also, there was a small firmware update I had installed (not the 7.0) that appears to have solved the 3G connection issue which is another added bonus.

Hopefully that is the end of my dramas so I can finally get to enjoy the car.

The moral of your case is never change the windscreen of a Tesla MS. I used to change the windscreens of my MB and BMW because of the crack hit by stones on the highways but never got any noise after the changes. Maybe Tesla should look into this.