TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

FS: Tesla Model S 3rd Row Seat - SOLD

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by Chris1970, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Chris1970

Chris1970 Member

#1 Chris1970, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    FS: Tesla Model S 3rd Row Seat

FS: Tesla Model S 3rd Row Seat $1750

Recently bought a used Model S that was built in 12/2013. It has the 3rd row seat which I don't need. I had it removed when I recently had winter wheels/tires installed. My preference would be a local buyer but I will ship if buyer pays shipping cost.

List Date: 11/18/2014

For more info, click here to view the original listing: FS: Tesla Model S 3rd Row Seat
    --------------------------------------
    SOLD

browseformore.png
    --------------------------------------
    tesla-motors-club.gif

2. Chris1970

Chris1970 Member

lowered price

Just lowered price to $1600 obo. Shoot me a message if you're interested. Thanks.

3. eco5280

eco5280 Member

No SC will install a used seat.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

And not all vehicles can accommodate it. This will be a tough sell unless you find someone who has a 3rd row seat that is damaged and needs replacement.

5. Chris1970

Chris1970 Member

not correct

Not sure where you got this information. When I had my Model S at the SC last week and asked them to remove the 3rd row seat they said they had another customer's car in for service that may be interested in it. They offered to install it in his car if he was. So, YMMV, check your local service center. I also know (and assumed most others do) that to install the 3rd row seat after the fact you need to have an early production car that has the necessary equipment to support it.

6. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

It requires the additional rear bumper protection, which all cars up to VIN ~5500 have. Very small market. If your SC had a qualifying car owned by someone who was interested, I'd sell it for $500 and consider myself lucky.

7. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Wow I didn't know that - so the $2500 isn't just the seat + installation, it's bumper protection too. Good to know.

8. Madartist

Madartist Member

I don't think SC can/will add the additional rear bumper protection necessary for any car that doesn't already have it. They can tell by searching the VIN. That's why third row seat is not an after delivery option on the Tesla's website. It's also the reason for Andrew's comment above.

9. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

How did you remove it? Just the two torx bolts?

10. Madartist

Madartist Member

SC removed ours. You can certainly request the same. There are also two latches on the sides of the trunk which can also be removed if desired.

11. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Madartist,

Does that mean to move the seats from on car to another, you would need more than just the seats and the hatch switch? Are the latches just bolt in?

Peter

12. eco5280

eco5280 Member

I was told it is installable after delivery for an additional $500 by the local Tesla sales rep.

13. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

it is bc the service center will retrofit the double bumper. they are very easy to install - take the bumper off, a few bolts and there ya go.

14. Madartist

Madartist Member

#14 Madartist, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Peter,

The latches to which the seats hooks into when upright are soldered directly to the body of the car inside the trunk. I asked the SC to cut off the latches when our third row seats were removed because I felt that they will only get in the way if we are not using them.

Steve

15. dave

dave Member

I have an early VIN, and may be interested in messing around with it. Does the SC center have to install it, or can you DIY? My 6 year old could ride back there on occasion, but we don't have any problem with her in the back seat for now, and I'm not really interested in throwing any more money at the car - especially not service costs.

16. Chris1970

Chris1970 Member

Sale pending to bluetinc.

17. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Not in my car... I sold my rear seats and those two latches/hoops were just bolted on and very easy to remove and give to the buyer. My P85+ VIN is 15XXX.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind when doing a seat swap.. if you have both the donor and recipient cars during the swap. First, the two main bolts that hold the seats on are bolted into a capture nut pictured below. These two nuts slide in a guideway behind the body/frame. They just slide left/right in the guideway, but are tricky to remove using the small holes next to them (you need small fingers to get them out). Once the main bolts and seats are removed, be sure to remove both of these nuts since (a) the seat buyer will need them, and (b) if you don't they can slide out and fall down into the body of the car and are impossible to retrieve (ask me how I know).

photo (Medium).JPG

Second, the rear carpet pieces will have those two bolt areas cut open once the seats are removed. If you have the buyer's car available, you can swap the rear carpet sections, since the buyer's car likely won't have these cutouts and the donor does. They're all black and exactly the same, so you can just swap them out. Same goes for the carpet areas where the side latches/hoops are mounted, you can swap those too. Makes the donor car look A LOT better without those open areas in the carpet.

Finally, there's also a latch area on the back of the 2nd row seats where the 3rd row latches onto and locks. I'm not sure if all cars have this latch. I'm not sure how the buyer of my seats solved this problem, but it's another thing to look out for when selling/buying the rear seats.

18. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

You got me all excited that I might have been able to borrow my brother's third row seats but I don't have the latches on the back of the second row. :(

19. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Ask your service center if they can install the rear latch. I think my buyer said something about the bracket already being part (inside) of the 2nd row of seats.. but I don't really remember what he said or how he solved that problem. He owns a auto-repair shop, so it's possible he fabricated it.

20. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

Interested if this is still available. PM me.