Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSDβ approved by tire and brake manufacturers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Okay, I admit the title is just kidding. But I've wondered from time to time how much FSDβ increases our consumption of tires and brakes. Really twitchy, rapid steering at near-zero speeds is rough on tires. And when I'm driving I can do almost all my slowing and stopping with just regen, but I hear FSDβ activating the mechanical brakes pretty frequently. Not a huge deal--just a thought...

Completely agree. Under ~30 mph it is tolerable and feels like uses regen to slow down. Any higher speeds and it just slams on the brakes. I have confirmed it by hovering my foot over the brake pedal and you can feel the brake pedal taps.

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It probably is more than our own manual driving, but I’m guessing probably still negligible. I think of it similar to people’s concerns when Beach Buggy 2 arrived in Teslas (
) which uses the real steering wheel and pedals for controls. The tires rubbing back and forth as kids (or adults) swung the wheel back and forth wildly with the cars sitting still initially caused concern, but you don’t really hear that worry anymore.

Okay, I admit the title is just kidding. But I've wondered from time to time how much FSDβ increases our consumption of tires and brakes. Really twitchy, rapid steering at near-zero speeds is rough on tires. And when I'm driving I can do almost all my slowing and stopping with just regen, but I hear FSDβ activating the mechanical brakes pretty frequently. Not a huge deal--just a thought...
Clearly you weren't in the early betas when it was REALLT twitchy. The current beta is much gentler, and I would expect it to continue to get better as the car gets better at path prediction. However, even right now I would guess there is very little difference between it and a human driver.

Fact check: False
Assertions without evidence are not facts, they are opinions. And I was not referring to the entirety of FSD behavior, but the manner and degree of smoothness with which it handles the car, which in the newer releases is vastly better then (say) a year ago and does indeed approach a human for most of the drives where I use FSD.