Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have to have FSD purchased already ($10k or subscription model) before the option to download or request FSD becomes available? I ask because I don't want to purchase the FSD subscription model (I don't think it's worth it without "city streets") and then perhaps have to wait several months before the download becomes available to me. I would like the option to download/request and then pay at that moment.

Do you have to have FSD purchased already ($10k or subscription model) before the option to download or request FSD becomes available? I ask because I don't want to purchase the FSD subscription model (I don't think it's worth it without "city streets") and then perhaps have to wait several months before the download becomes available to me. I would like the option to download/request and then pay at that moment.

There's no written policy so there is only an assumption.

People saw on FSD beta 8 on Youtube in 10/2020 and they thought if they paid for it they would get it. Good assumption but now it's 10.1 and they have not gotten it.

Same with a subscription. It's a good assumption that if you subscribe to it, you would get it timely but there's no guarantee written anywhere that you would get it any time soon.

Thanks, Tam.

I guess what I'm getting at, is will the option to get into the FSD "city streets" beta program ever show up, if I'm not already an FSD subscriber.

Has anyone who doesn't have FSD already been offered the button? It seems it would be a good way to generate interest in the program and perhaps prompt people to check it out.

Thanks, Tam.

I guess what I'm getting at, is will the option to get into the FSD "city streets" beta program ever show up, if I'm not already an FSD subscriber.

Has anyone who doesn't have FSD already been offered the button? It seems it would be a good way to generate interest in the program and perhaps prompt people to check it out.

Yes. If you buy or rent FSD, you will get the FSD beta request button from the Autopilot menu.

However, I cannot guarantee how timely it would be. If you start to subscribe to it now, let's assume an expectation that you might get the button next month or 2 but you will get it for sure. If you already did it some time ago, you will get it and it may take days or weeks to distribute the firmware to all those FSD owners and renters.

But getting the request button does not mean you would automatically get FSD beta (currently 10.1). You still have to jump through the hoops to be considered. You still have to pass the "Safety Score" then we'll see how many owners will Tesla grant the software.

Thanks, Tam.

I subscribed Saturday after the initial push of software went out. I just got the software update today and got added to the FSD beta request queue. So, that took about 48 hours. I have not seen the scoring show up in the app yet, but have read it takes a couple hours. It will be interesting to see how many people report getting in to the beta program (or not getting in). I doubt anything will show up unless you subscribe. The good thing is the subscription can be dropped/added as desired.

Reactions: GregalseT
...I have not seen the scoring show up in the app yet, but have read it takes a couple hours...
If you have an Apple App, you should see it soon.

If you have an Android App, you might have to wait for days in order for the Google Play Store to update to 4.1.0.

There's an informal way to get Android Tesla 4.1.0 without waiting for the Google Play Store:

1) Get APKMirror Installer
2) Download the unofficial 4.1.0 from APKMirror

Good luck!

To update, I went ahead and subscribed to FSD and got the software update within a couple of hours. I clicked The Button and am in the seven-day safety grading period. I am on Android (Google Pixel) do can't yet see my scores. Tonight I will ask my daughter to download the app on her iPhone and just log in as myself to see my score.

I did not see the "Safety Score" on my Tesla app until I deleted the app and reinstalled it. It had been a full seven days, so I expected it to be available.
But even with a good(ish) Safety Score (don't show this to my wife), I have not received an invitation to join the FSD crowd. And yes, I paid for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 1.02.06 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 1.02.06 PM.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 1.02.43 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 1.02.43 PM.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 43
Elon initially said 7 days but then the release date was changed to October 8. That’s when he said they would start adding 1000 per day beginning with scores of 100 and then 99, 98, and so on…. So I assume it will be 14 days instead of 7.

I am holding strong with a score of 100 with 756 miles!

So is the driving score a 7 day rolling average? I scored poorly on my first day, but have had no dings on my score since . Just wondering when that first days poor score will roll off.
It's not a rolling average. The daily scores are mileage weighted, so the more mileage you rack up with scores of 100 the less affect your first days bad score will have. If your first day was 10 miles with a score of 50 and you add 90 miles of 100, your first score would only contribute 10 percent to the total. Therefore your cumulative score would be 0.1 x 50 + 0.9 x 100, or 95.

Reactions: KennyBry