Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta 11.4.3 (2023.7.15) issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started having this same problem with 11.4.2 and it seems worse with 11.4.3. I daily drive my MY on a two-lane road that has turn lanes for going into private communities that are usually gated. It now swerves into the turn lane so often it is not drivable. Like rschimpf78 I waited to see what happened when there was no traffic. One time it swerved back into the drive lane just before the turn lane ended. Another time it got very confused and slammed on the brakes before it got to the grass beyond the turn lane. It's dangerous and frustrating. I won't use FSB on this road when I have guests in the car and after swerving into the turn lane three times in a row in about a half mile I decide it just wasn't worth the risk and hassle. Please Elon, get this fixed.
Exact same problem since 11.4.2 and worse in 11.4.3, it doesn't matter whether left or right, as long as there is a turn lane on the closest side, it is very likely tries to turn into it, sometimes it will correct early, sometimes it will do it late and I just brake and take over. Be careful though, it may speed up and get into nasty situation. I used to use it all the time on my frequent city route, now it is useless.

I'm now on 11.4.3 and the issue persists. Another issue for me that started on 11.4.2 and persists on 11.4.3 is that my MS won't remain in the HOV lane on the interstate, even when the next exit is 20 miles away. The message is displayed that its changing lanes to follow route, but it just remains in the left passing lane (right next to HOV lane). The visualization preview screen used to show the double white lines of the HOV lane as white, but now it shows them as double yellow and white bouncing back and forth. It's almost like there is a bug when it sees double white lines, HOV, Bike Lane, new right turn off lane, it wants to lane change to the right...When it sees double white it goes right.

Attachments

• 20230616_000057.jpg
    20230616_000057.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: vipin2007
I'm now on 11.4.3 and the issue persists. Another issue for me that started on 11.4.2 and persists on 11.4.3 is that my MS won't remain in the HOV lane on the interstate, even when the next exit is 20 miles away. The message is displayed that its changing lanes to follow route, but it just remains in the left passing lane (right next to HOV lane). The visualization preview screen used to show the double white lines of the HOV lane as white, but now it shows them as double yellow and white bouncing back and forth. It's almost like there is a bug when it sees double white lines, HOV, Bike Lane, new right turn off lane, it wants to lane change to the right...When it sees double white it goes right.

I have 11.4.2 and have similar issue, It supposed to go straight on a particular section (never failed before ), now it always make a signal and turn into the turn lane on the left. I suppose it thinks that’s an open lane it will be faster ! Last time with 11.3.6 in a feeder/service road, doing similar thing, it almost crashed - speed up to 50 mph in a very short turn lane of an apartment complex, I have to hard brake and make a quick turn into the complex, otherwise it will jump the curb and hit the fire hydrant. This look like a vision problem to me.
It didn't say anything and it just do it on its own. On highway, it usually has messages but on city streets, I cannot say it 100% have messages in every single instances, this is my observation.
exactly, there is no messages showing in the screen

Once I Installed 11.4.2, my vehicle started this odd behavior of suddenly selecting these right turn lanes when the vehicle should be going straight (according to the navigation route). The message displayed is "Changing Lanes to Follow Route". About 2 seconds before the right turn off lane (similar to what is shown in image of original post), the blue visualization prediction path suddenly snaps to the right turn off lane and the car swerves to follow the new path about 1-2 seconds after the prediction path changes.

One time, when there was almost no traffic on the road, I decided to ride out the issue and see if the car would figure out that it chose the wrong lane, and it did...After it swerved into the right turn off lane at a 4 way traffic light intersection of 4-laned roads, it swerved back to the left in the middle of the intersection to course correct. This is not ok and I hope it will get fixed soon. I was getting more and more comfortable with each release, but I would urge anyone who has built up confidence in FSD beta to be hyperaware with the upcoming releases and their transition into vision based navigation.

For me, the issue is 100% reproducible so far under the following conditions on 11.4.2:
1. Navigation is set to a destination, (offline/online navigation setting has no effect)
2. Route on map/navigation app is showing straight (no turning off of current road) at the location of issue occurrence
3. Driving in the right most lane of the road
4. Car is approaching a location at which a new lane is drawn for turning right

I've found the following factors have NO impact on causing/preventing the issue.
1. 'Minimal Lane Changes' setting
2. Chill, Average, Assertive modes
3. Lane count of road (through lanes)
4. Location of right turn lane: At intersection (traffic light/stop sign) VS. no intersection and right turn lane is for exiting off of the currently traveled road.

I've found the only way to reduce occurrences is by trying to keep the car in the left most lane (for double/triple/quad-laned roads). If I want to engage autopilot, I have to turn off navigation and use the blinkers for turning....which is no longer self driving. If someone finds other factors that will cause or prevent the issue please share!
you explained, very well, now I always using the left turn signal and keep the car in the left lane. its very annoying. few days ago, in a different location the car did this behavior when I drove with my colleague, and he asking about that also. I embarrassed in front of him.

I started having this same problem with 11.4.2 and it seems worse with 11.4.3. I daily drive my MY on a two-lane road that has turn lanes for going into private communities that are usually gated. It now swerves into the turn lane so often it is not drivable. Like rschimpf78 I waited to see what happened when there was no traffic. One time it swerved back into the drive lane just before the turn lane ended. Another time it got very confused and slammed on the brakes before it got to the grass beyond the turn lane. It's dangerous and frustrating. I won't use FSB on this road when I have guests in the car and after swerving into the turn lane three times in a row in about a half mile I decide it just wasn't worth the risk and hassle. Please Elon, get this fixed.
im okay with all other FSD issues, but selecting a wrong lane and going to somewhere is terrible.

im okay with all other FSD issues, but selecting a wrong lane and going to somewhere is terrible.
Yeah this issue is by far the worst and most embarassing. I really have to use the left blinker to fight the cars urges. Yesterday, it tried 4 times to get onto the right side of the road, fought it with the blinker as it jerks right more and more each time. Then it start to slow down. So it won.

Reactions: vipin2007 and Genie
Had the exact same issue as I was in the far-left HOV lane, and was using FSD with route planned, and my next exit was just over 10 miles away... and all of a sudden, the message "Changing Lanes to Follow Route" (which is BS!) popped up while the car was slowing down to match the traffic in the next lane!
I of course had to take over... but not until the WSP vehicle (which was on my 4) saw my vehicle slow way down to get out of the HOV lane, then I took over, which was "jerky" as well as me hitting the left blinker to stop the right blinker and speeding back up, etc.. Hectic and ugly.
The WSP then got in the HOV lane behind me and followed me for miles but (thankfully) didn't pull me over for looking drunk!
I tried to do a Bug Report... but I was flustered and the stupid Bug Report only lets you say a couple words. So I re-submitted a Bug Report saying simply "Please review recent clip". I have no idea if that works or not...

Today I updated to 2023.7.20 (11.4.4)
Overall driving is much smoother but the actual problem became very worse. After update went for a 3 miles drive, the car try to get all the left turn lane and right turn lane. So frustrating
2023.7.20 was just sent to me. The first item of the release notes acknowledges the lane selection issue, but it is supposed to improve it, haha. I haven't installed yet. Are you seeing the issue at new spots now and with left or right selection when it should be straight? What is the behavior at the spot in your original post image? Does it still try to go right?

Another issue I faced is the speed control. The highways around the metroplex here are complex and joined together, and the service/feeder roads are multi lanes usually 50 mph with strip mall business on the side, the service road may be curved and junctioned with another service road from another highways. Most people will slow down much earlier when anticipating a turn, traffic or have to get into the business parking lot. FSDb will always keep maximum speed until the very last moment and then hard brake. On a curved road, since it cannot see ahead clearly, if there is traffic backed up because of red lights, it is just too dangerous and a very uncomfortable hard brake. One time it is traveling at 50 mph and try to make a right turn on a green light without slowing down much, it overshoot 3 lanes and disengaged in the middle, if someone runs a red light from another direction, it will be a disaster.

Another issue I faced is the speed control. The highways around the metroplex here are complex and joined together, and the service/feeder roads are multi lanes usually 50 mph with strip mall business on the side, the service road may be curved and junctioned with another service road from another highways. Most people will slow down much earlier when anticipating a turn, traffic or have to get into the business parking lot. FSDb will always keep maximum speed until the very last moment and then hard brake. On a curved road, since it cannot see ahead clearly, if there is traffic backed up because of red lights, it is just too dangerous and a very uncomfortable hard brake. One time it is traveling at 50 mph and try to make a right turn on a green light without slowing down much, it overshoot 3 lanes and disengaged in the middle, if someone runs a red light from another direction, it will be a disaster.
Wow, Crazy. Mine doesn't have to face very complex situations and I've still experienced the full speed when it should be slowing. It kinda helped to roll the following distance knob to chill during the situations where it should have been slowing, ( or if I was already using chill, roll it to assertive and back to chill) But it definitely was only a small improvement.

2023.7.20 was just sent to me. The first item of the release notes acknowledges the lane selection issue, but it is supposed to improve it, haha. I haven't installed yet. Are you seeing the issue at new spots now and with left or right selection when it should be straight? What is the behavior at the spot in your original post image? Does it still try to go right?
Yes, after this update (2023.7.20) it’s try to get all the right turn lane or left turn lane when I supposed to go straight. In the previous update it’s only take right lane in some particular locations. But now it’s worse 😤 The good thing is, I feel much smoother than the previous version.

Last edited:
after updating to 11.4.3, my car is always trying to get into a right lane, when I supposed to go straight.
View attachment 946163
I've had problem both right and left turn lanes. Very apparent when entering highway. It will not move into the open lane but tries to ride the ramp lane until it ends. Even when you use the blinker to force a switch lane. The last update (2023.7.15) is too dangerous to use at all!