Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had to pay for another Hardware 3.0 FSD computer after it was upgraded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I had my Hardware 3.0 FSD computer upgraded in 2020 for my 2017 MX. The car was running fine with FSD beta version up to v11.4.3 until the 11.4.4 came and i tried to update/install it unsucessfully. I talked to Tesla SC and they had me tried soft/hard reboots but still end up same version 11.4.3. The car still works fine with FSD beta 11.4.3 (without the upgrade to 11.4.4). I decided to bring it in and they said the computer needs to be replaced and charged me $1500 + labor which came out to about $2k. Should they have just replaced it for free or give some discount? Is this a common thing? I was like WTH

This sounds a little strange to me, buy I don't have FSD.

However, If I understand correctly, the hardware you have working properly up to version 11.4.3. If so, isn't this like when your computer/phone/other electronic device supports up to a certain version of its software/firmware, but not a later version? In this case seems you can stay at the version that runs on your hardware or upgrade hardware.

Upvote 0

However, If I understand correctly, the hardware you have working properly up to version 11.4.3. If so, isn't this like when your computer/phone/other electronic device supports up to a certain version of its software/firmware, but not a later version? In this case seems you can stay at the version that runs on your hardware or upgrade hardware.

I think its more like "I paid to replace this part 3 years ago in 2020, tried to update software, software update failed, Tesla says it failed because the computer went bad again, should I have to pay for that?"

Or
"How long is the warranty on the computer? I bought one 3 years ago, it went bad again, and have to pay again to replace it?"

Upvote 0

Apparently while the car was at SC, they were able to install 11.4.4 but said "it was not communicating with my vehicle " 😳

Attachments

• IMG_5691.jpeg
    IMG_5691.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0
I think its more like "I paid to replace this part 3 years ago in 2020, tried to update software, software update failed, Tesla says it failed because the computer went bad again, should I have to pay for that?"

Or
"How long is the warranty on the computer? I bought one 3 years ago, it went bad again, and have to pay again to replace it?"
If the computer went bad, it wouldn't have worked with 11.4.3 either right? But it worked fine with 11.4.3

Upvote 0
If the computer went bad, it wouldn't have worked with 11.4.3 either right? But it worked fine with 11.4.3

Im not a Tesla employee, nor Technical enough to corroborate such a statement. I was only commenting that the gist of your post is "I paid for a new computer in 2020, Tesla tells me it went bad again and it needs replacing, I expected them to do it free or discounted because I bought one in 2020".

Reactions: M109Rider
Upvote 0

Or
Im not a Tesla employee, nor Technical enough to corroborate such a statement. I was only commenting that the gist of your post is "I paid for a new computer in 2020, Tesla tells me it went bad again and it needs replacing, I expected them to do it free or discounted because I bought one in 2020".
I don't think the computer went bad or died. It just wasn't working/communicating with the latest version update. It was working fine with 11.4.3 even after the 11.4.4 update failed couple times

Upvote 0
I expected them to do it free or discounted because I bought one in 2020
I never said I expected them to do this. What I didn't expect was I had to pay $2k for another computer already. Do most people expect the computer failed that soon already and have to pay $2k for it? It's actually less than 2.5 years since they last upgraded it.
SC never said the computer went bad either. Perhaps it was their "lazy" way to fix the problem, replacing the whole computer hardware

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SC never said the computer went bad either. Perhaps it was their "lazy" way to fix the problem, replacing the whole computer hardware

If the computer is physically broken and it needs an identical replacement without the physical damage part, then the Parts Warranty is only in effect for 1 year or 12,500 miles. That means it's time for you to pay up again after 3 years.

However, if there's nothing physically damaged, and the reason requires a new one is because the new software version requires another newer version of the hardware, I think it is unreasonable for Tesla to ask for more money.

You paid for the FSD function, and if that function requires a moving target of new hardware to achieve the goal, Tesla has to eat up the cost for those who pre-paid.

Upvote 0
If the computer is physically broken and it needs an identical replacement without the physical damage part, then the Parts Warranty is only in effect for 1 year or 12,500 miles. That means it's time for you to pay up again after 3 years.

However, if there's nothing physically damaged, and the reason requires a new one is because the new software version requires another newer version of the hardware, I think it is unreasonable for Tesla to ask for more money.

You paid for the FSD function, and if that function requires a moving target of new hardware to achieve the goal, Tesla has to eat up the cost for those who pre-paid.
well said. Exactly how I felt

Reactions: EMdoc12
Upvote 0
well said. Exactly how I felt
Not the first time that Tesla asked for money for hardware. It lost in small claims court:

Upvote 0
OP, Did you challenge the SC findings /proposed resolution? or did they just told you pay up and obliged.
I did not challenge the finding. Initially he quoted a diag fee of $75 and had me approved it prior working on the car. Later the diag fee changed to $225 and added to the invoice without telling me first why it went up more and if I wanted to approve it. Pretty much pay up or pay the diag without the problem fixed

Upvote 0

Not the first time that Tesla asked for money for hardware. It lost in small claims court:

Thank you much for your replies and this info. The more I think about this, the more I'm mad with what transpired. Obviously the car was working absolutely normally without FSD engaged or with FSD 11.4.3 For whatever reason they couldn't and did not tell me what exactly was wrong, after the engineers supposedly looked into it, except they just need to replace the FSD computer to work with the latest 11.4.4. Basically they didn't really know why so the easiest solution for "them" is to replace the computer and I have to pay for it 😡

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a similar issue with my MCU2 upgrade which happed a couple of years ago. It failed and neither screen worked. I took it in and even though the car was still under warranty I had to pay to have a new MCU2 installed. If I had an MCU1 that failed, it would have been covered, but because it was not what it was shipped from the factory with, and the one year warranty was over, then I had to pay. I expect the same would be true for the FSD 3.0 computer. Seems bad that if you pay to have an upgrade, that it isn't covered under the warranty.

Upvote 0

I now hear loud whistling noise/sound when driving on freeway at higher speed. I never had that noise problem before. Do you think it could be related to them taking things apart and installed the new computer? I told them and they asked me to open new service ticket with cost estimate $253.30 for me to approve and schedule the service. Unbelievable.

Upvote 0