Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some older Teslas do not have FSD capabilities. You can usually spot these by the lack of side repeater cameras, however I believe some have repeater cameras but lack the proper top-mount center cameras in the car and autopilot computer (or something like that), but they offer an upgrade for a few grand.

Upvote 0
Hello, I am about to pick up my Model Y soon and I was wondering if all the cares have FSD capabilities? I did not purchase it but through referral, I get three months of it.
I recommend watching the Dirty Tesla's excellent youtube channel. He does detailed and honest assessments of FSD capabilities. You can watch its performance in real time as he drives. His latest video takes you through downtown during rush hour in some city in Michigan.

Upvote 0
I recommend watching the Dirty Tesla's excellent youtube channel. He does detailed and honest assessments of FSD capabilities. You can watch its performance in real time as he drives. His latest video takes you through downtown during rush hour in some city in Michigan.
Great channel!

Unfortunately, here in rural New Mexico FSDb is pretty terrible. It literally cannot take me to the grocery store. Oddly, Autopilot works great here and I use it for about 80% of my driving. Some of the problems I have with FSD relate to bad map data and bad traffic data. In addition, there were problems with idiotic lane changes and creeping way too close to 55 mph traffic for no reason. There were also missed turns and wrong turns and a few other things. I am relieved to be back on basic Autopilot.

There are very few Teslas where I live. Maybe Tesla didn't have enough data to fix these FSD bugs in my area. Or maybe it's just a very low priority, which makes sense. They should try to do the greatest good for the greatest number of people.

If you see a lot of Teslas in your area then I think the FSD experience will be much better.

Reactions: jmcdono362
Upvote 0
Great channel!

Unfortunately, here in rural New Mexico FSDb is pretty terrible. It literally cannot take me to the grocery store. Oddly, Autopilot works great here and I use it for about 80% of my driving. Some of the problems I have with FSD relate to bad map data and bad traffic data. In addition, there were problems with idiotic lane changes and creeping way too close to 55 mph traffic for no reason. There were also missed turns and wrong turns and a few other things. I am relieved to be back on basic Autopilot.

There are very few Teslas where I live. Maybe Tesla didn't have enough data to fix these FSD bugs in my area. Or maybe it's just a very low priority, which makes sense. They should try to do the greatest good for the greatest number of people.

If you see a lot of Teslas in your area then I think the FSD experience will be much better.
I don't know about that. My area is chock full of Teslas but my FSD experience (albeit it was earlier this year) was pretty scary.

Upvote 0