Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD going up $2000 on Monday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD driving on city streets!!
Screenshot_20201022-124212_Brave.jpg

To put the high cost in perspective, when I bought my 12/2016 Model S new the cost at vehicle purchase was $5000 for EAP and an additional $3000 for FSD. I decided to gamble and wait. In Spring 2019 both features went on sale and were thousands cheaper. I jumped on both options. I keep my cars a long time, so waiting wasn’t a huge issue and my assumption FSD was a long way from reality was correct.

Will a sale price happen again? Maybe so but do you want to wait two years now that FSD looks like it is no longer just vaporware? I would probably pay the $8000 (less for older cars) before Monday but admit that is a lot of coin.

Last edited:
To put the high cost in perspective, when I bought my 12/2016 Model S new the cost at vehicle purchase was $5000 for EAP and an additional $3000 for FSD. I decided to gamble and wait. In Spring 2019 both features went on sale and were thousands cheaper. I jumped on both options. I keep my cars a long time, so waiting wasn’t a huge issue and my assumption FSD was a long way from reality was correct.

Will a sale price happen again? Maybe so but do you want to wait two years now that FSD looks like it is no longer just vaporware? I would probably pay the $8000 (less for older cars) before Monday but admit that is a lot of coin.
Less for older cars? Do you mean it would be worth less if you put it on an older car?

Less for older cars? Do you mean it would be worth less if you put it on an older car?
No, I just meant purchase price of FSD for some older cars, e.g., a 2016 with EAP should be much less than the current $8000 (or $10,000 on Monday). Of course such older cars didn’t have AP or EAP included with original purchase price, so total out of pocket for both options is probably similar.

Dang I just purchased EAP in September for $4k and now my FSD option is $5k. Come Monday my FSD option will be back up to $7k..... I should have just bought FSD in the beginning because I am planning to keep this car for a good while. I’m sure I will probably go ahead and pay the $5k before the price increase...... In the end, Elon wins again!

Reactions: Discoducky
In the end you will have to pay 2k more and still be responsible for any mishaps. Raising price makes ZERO sense given this fact. Especially since it will still be a beta SW release

Personally I’m not interested in FSD since I personally experienced phantom braking with autopilot. Phantom braking has been a long standing issue with auto pilot and I’m not confident it’s been properly addressed, thus I have zero confidence in FSD, even if it’s a rewrite from the ground up. In the end people are paying to be beta testers.

I’d rather buy a Rolex for that price. It will last longer.

Reactions: Clark_Kent
I’d rather buy a Rolex for that price. It will last longer

Not only that, your Rolex will generally appreciate in value, you can resell or trade it, and it’s a well-refined product. None of which are true of FSD. Of course Musk would like to think there will be some appreciation of FSD value but that’s somewhat debatable. Honestly I don’t believe FSD will be up to level 5 that I would trust with my eyes closed within the10 years that I plan on owning my Y.

It's like anything, a personal choice based on your circumstances and opinions. Not needed for sure, but I love being able to have the latest tech and be on the front end of this whole movement. It's coming eventually and right now Tesla leads the pack - I'm stoked! :D

Musk: “FSD monthly rental will also be available sometime next year”.

We all knew this was coming but I wonder what the price will be given the $10k purchase tag? $250-$300 per month?
Right. Unless it’s insanely expensive per month, a lot of people will be better off renting it when needed instead of paying $10k up front. The rental option solidifies my choice to not buy it now.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung

Pretty much why I popped for it. To lock in the possibility that it will work when I'm drooling, falling asleep but need to go get my meds.

Reactions: HyperionMark