Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD in older models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: pilotSteve
Upvote 0
I am thinking of buying an older Tesla, 2012-2016, not picky about the model. Can they support FSD?

Most Teslas in that range will be Model S. Model X came out in larger numbers in 2016 (with some in late 2015).

I think if you're in the market for an older Tesla, get one with AP1. It worked very well for what it did. Naturally you'll want to verify that the max battery capacity is high. This could be difficult if the car is with a random dealership. With a private party sale, the owner can show you this on the charging screen of the mobile app.

I have a 2014 S without AP. It's a solid and stylish EV with most of its range (248 out of the original 265 miles). It's had some issues (2 door handles went bad, a flow diverter motor for the HVAC went bad, and the TPMS in the tires caused a fault and needed to be replaced). I also had to replace the daughterboard of the MCU due to the failing eMMC (covered under the recall for this issue). I also upgraded the data radio to 4G, since AT&T recently retired 3G service. That's a $200 replacement, and you'll want to check if the car you're interested in has done the upgrade.

Firmware updates these days are sparse, and I don't have any expectations that the car will be getting newer functionality except for critical/security issues.

If you want to be part of this crazy FSD journey, you will want to consider a newer Tesla.

Upvote 0
Most Teslas in that range will be Model S. Model X came out in larger numbers in 2016 (with some in late 2015).

I think if you're in the market for an older Tesla, get one with AP1. It worked very well for what it did. Naturally you'll want to verify that the max battery capacity is high. This could be difficult if the car is with a random dealership. With a private party sale, the owner can show you this on the charging screen of the mobile app.

I have a 2014 S without AP. It's a solid and stylish EV with most of its range (248 out of the original 265 miles). It's had some issues (2 door handles went bad, a flow diverter motor for the HVAC went bad, and the TPMS in the tires caused a fault and needed to be replaced). I also had to replace the daughterboard of the MCU due to the failing eMMC (covered under the recall for this issue). I also upgraded the data radio to 4G, since AT&T recently retired 3G service. That's a $200 replacement, and you'll want to check if the car you're interested in has done the upgrade.

Firmware updates these days are sparse, and I don't have any expectations that the car will be getting newer functionality except for critical/security issues.

If you want to be part of this crazy FSD journey, you will want to consider a newer Tesla.
Thanks

Upvote 0