Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD transfer question. 2018 Model 3 with FSD totaled.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased FSD for my 2018 Model 3 a few years ago, and, of course, just when it was getting pretty good...about two weeks ago, some lady crashed into my car. Her insurance company accepted full liability but today we got the estimate for repair and it's over $30K, so the insurance company is going to total the car.

I know that FSD is generally pretty devalued when it comes to resale, so it kind of sucks that I will not get to use this thing that I paid $7K for back in the day and will probably not get back anything near what I paid for it.

I was thinking about begging for an FSD transfer to a new purchase. I see some older threads about this but they predate FSD transfer offers altogether. Just curious if anyone has any more recent experience along these lines? Am I pretty much out of luck?

Would be a very strong argument in favor of the FSD subscription model. I don't know why you would ever buy it if you can lose it all in a crash at any moment.

I dont follow this topic that closely, but I dont remember Tesla offering to do a FSD transfer for anyone outside of the times they did it to move inventory. They did it to move inventory a couple times at least, but outside of that, I believe the answer has been "no".

My personal feeling is, it SHOULD be transferrable to new Teslas, but how I feel about it doesnt really matter.

I personally think your out of luck, especially since Tesla is obviously cost cutting very strongly at this particular time (meaning getting an exception to something is likely not only not likely, the chain of command to someone who might even be able to approve such a thing is likely gone).

Can you buy it back, park it somewhere, and wait for a new transfer offer? I'd bet there will be one not far down the road. Maybe even part it out in the meantime. I'd guess end of 2q or 3q.

Although I have no idea what a buyback would cost. And how you might get around in the meantime.

Reactions: legendsk