Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD License

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be a mystery of what happens when one sells their car with fsd.

How about it's yours, like software? Getting new, different, Tesla, uninstall, reinstall and Bob's your uncle.

If I posted this twice it was my first time. Be kind

Currently, if you pay FSD, you have to pay the whole amount. If your car is stolen, you lost your car and your $8,000 FSD. If you totaled your car in an accident, you lost your car and your $8,000 FSD. If you sold your car, you lost your car and your $8,000 FSD. If you give your car to your uncle, you lose your car and your $8,000 FSD.

In future, Tesla will give an option for a subscription that means you don't have to pay the whole sum at once. You pay when you use it.

You will be able to stop paying a subscription for one car and pay for a subscription for another.

It's just like renting FSD with no commitment to one single car.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
There seems to be a mystery of what happens when one sells their car with fsd.

How about it's yours, like software? Getting new, different, Tesla, uninstall, reinstall and Bob's your uncle.

If I posted this twice it was my first time. Be kind

There is zero "mystery" of what happens with FSD when you sell a car. In ALL cases, the person selling the car loses FSD. It goes with the car. The only difference is, if one sells the car to TESLA, tesla may remove it from the car before they sell it again.

if one sells the car to "anyone else" it stays with the car, and that person keeps it.

No mystery at all, it stays with the car, like most other parts. The difference is, the owner can not "remove the part and keep it". The only "confusion" is:

1. people thinking for some reason they get to keep FSD themselves when they sell the car with some form of wishful thinking (because no where ever has it ever been stated that one could do this.

2. People buying a car from "someone" (third party dealer or private party) that had FSD on it but never paid for it. Tesla audits software and removes FSD when they find the car never had a purchase of it. Person who purchased the car from the third party dealer, or private party is upset but FSD was never paid for in the first place on that car.

Tesla has mis identified cars in category 2 above a few times.

• Informative
The thing is, FUSC has that value for me. I could be wrong about its actual value, but the value I perceive is enough that the car's purchase IS decided by that factor almost entirely. I wasn't looking for a new car, I bought it because otherwise I'll lose FUSC. That and knowing that FSD will go up by another $1000US are the two motivators. Nothing else. There are plenty of threads here discussing how FUSC isn't as valuable as people think. I've read some of them. I'm not looking to start that discussion over again. I'd like to have Tesla ship or hold the car. Either of those outcomes is fine. Or another option that I'm not thinking of. That's the point of this thread.

Has anyone used Shiply? Maybe I can figure out shipping myself if the cost won't be too high. That's assuming Tesla will let it go... Perhaps the likelihood of that goes up if it's shipped from dealership to dealership directly.

I received an email to make appointment to upgrade to FSD HW 3.0.

Can this be done by Tesla mobile service?

Or is it better to get it done at a Tesla service center?

There's no mystery. We lose access to it and can't reuse it on another Tesla.
The mystery wasn't ours but the new owner. The idea was that perhaps it could stay ours. If your running some design hardware and upgrade your computer, you can keep it. Out was just a random thought thrown out for whatever responses it got

And the last option is to trade your car into Tesla and Tesla removes FSD and re-sells it to the next AGAIN!!! o_O

There's nothing wrong with changing the options of the car as long as the receipt accurately update the facts.

For example, the car came back to the dealer and it still had the more expensive wheels on: $4,500 21" Sonic Carbon Twin Turbine Wheels".

The dealer can switch those to standard 19" ones but the legal documentation needs to be reflective of the facts so that if the next owner wants to pay an additional $4,500, they know can.