Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD needs to anticipate turns and freeway exits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD needs to use navigation to get in the correct lane prior to a turn or a freeway exit.
Here here! My car just keeps going in a straight line. I was heading to LA and ended up in Canada. 😉

Of course the car changes lanes for exits and turns. On freeways it begins around 1.5 miles if you're in the far left lane, and usually makes the final lane change before the exit at about 0.5 miles. On city streets, it makes lane moves at about 0.5 miles to an upcoming turn.

Pedantry time. That's "Hear! hear!" It's an exclamation for attention from the crowd. "Yo! Listen up!"

On topic, I think he means that he wants to see the car better positioned for turns and freeway exits. He probably gets over long before FSD does.
😂 I know JB, the statement was sarcasm, and the SIC was intentional.

As for the rest, people need to remember it's an L2 driver assist. It means you can participate. Want to get over a mile earlier? Use the turn signals to get the car over when YOU want it to. (Tip: enable MLC to make sure it doesn't change back for speed)

Reactions: JB47394
As others have noted, it DOES do this, but it can be rather dumb and not change lanes early enough (it's not very traffic aware). However, this is all legacy V11 code which I doubt Tesla will be touching again .. so any improvements are going to arrive only when they switch to th V12 stack for highway driving (rumored to be V12.5, but who knows). To be fair, it's likely that the very nature of the V12 stack will see the car acting more human-like on highways when the change does come (hopefully).

It does, just not very well.
Next update will have two modes.

“Wife mode” where it gets in the lane 1-3 miles before the interchange and it gets stuck behind 0.9 to 2.9 miles of slower traffic all getting in the lane way too early.

“Jerk Mode” where is gets over at the last second occupying a spot 1,5 car lengths long.

“That’s How I do it Mode” will pass those cars at a reasonable pace, identifying the huge gap in that is always present this time of day, and reasonably and safely will merge over saving 10s of seconds.

The third mode will not ever work.