Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12.3.4 Highway exits still terrifying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the car takes an exit it veers hard right and heads straight for the guard rail before straightening out. It should make a gradual turn like it does when changing lanes. It also ignores the yellow speed advisory signs in the exit lanes and highway turns generally and takes exit ramps and sharp highway turns too fast. Is there any way to report this to Tesla?

I haven’t noticed any of these issues myself, but if you are uncomfortable with anything it’s doing you should disengage right away and use the voice control button to record a bug report.

You can also use voice control at anytime to submit a bug report, but from what I understand those are not delivered to Tesla unless they have a reason to pull that data from your car specifically (like for troubleshooting some issue).

What version of FSD are you on? Edit: Duh, I see it in the subject line!

The exit behavior has varied quite a lot over time. It used to be fine, and then it wasn't. I think 12.3 was probably the worst of all, but either 12.3.3 or 12.3.4 has in fact made the exit more tolerable (almost natural even).

I now see that you are on 12.3.4. I wonder if markings in your state make the behavior a bit different.

I now exactly what the OP is taking about. It does seem to be somewhat variable based upon my experience running FSD (supervised) 12.3.3 on my MSLR. Sometimes is seems to do well, but othertimes it's incredibly abrupt, overshoots a bit to far to the right, then oscillates back left then finally straightens out.

I think a part of this from my observation depends upon how the exit lane is actually formed. If the exit lane is suddenly fully there with a very sharp bend right side line it acts like it wants to directly stay to the right sideline. In that case it makes the very abrupt hard right, typically with some overshoot/oscillation. That's true even if the exit lane runs for quite a long distance. If the exit lane has a gradual entry shape, then it does a much more gradual transition.

Just my experience and observations over the past 3 weeks with these newer variants.

2022 MY LD Ver SFD 12.3.4, I see this as well, been tring it on diferant exits, I wonder if its following the road edge line.
I swear its worse when there is a sharp cut in on the exit. Cuts in so hard it over shoots and hits the rumbel strip at times, then hard back in the lane, and totally missing the speed signs on the exit.

When the car takes an exit it veers hard right and heads straight for the guard rail before straightening out. It should make a gradual turn like it does when changing lanes. It also ignores the yellow speed advisory signs in the exit lanes and highway turns generally and takes exit ramps and sharp highway turns too fast. Is there any way to report this to Tesla?
I've gotten used to this so it doesn't bother me anymore :)

My complaint is V11 on the highway takes the exit or on ramp too fast. I find it's specific exits so the problem is repeatable. I have disengaged and reported to Tesla. I don't want FSD to adhere to the yellow speed advisory signs since they are so slow I'd really upset the vehicles behind me, Only time they are accurate IMO is when the exit ramp is covered in snow.

I had to do the followings with v11.4.9:

1. Disengaged FSD when the car exited to a cloverleaf having a short radius because did not slow down quick enough. Very uncomfortable.

2. Rolled up max speed limit and pressed the accelarator after the car exited to a cloverleaf but did not accelerate fast enough to go to the street. After getting into the street the car did not go with the street speed limit. People behind me were annoyed and patient. After my car got into the street, people behind me changed lane to the left to pass me.

V12 fixed those 2 situations. Speed control is right and confortable.

By the way nobody goes with the posted exit limit. It's just a reminder to slow down. People go a lot faster. Same with V12.