Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fsd now or later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok thanks. That's what I thought but it was implied I should add it to my order now to save money. I'm not sure I need fsd at this point. If they released it where it was truly autonomous I would be interested. Or the hardware was to run it was significantly better. 3.0 hardware still seems to have issues from what I've read on the forums.

Ok thanks. That's what I thought but it was implied I should add it to my order now to save money. I'm not sure I need fsd at this point. If they released it where it was truly autonomous I would be interested.
And that is the kicker. As the implementation of the eventual FSD has improved, the cost has increased. The dilemma is whether to buy an immature FSD-capability now at the current price, or wait until it is more mature and a higher price.

Reactions: Vawlkus
And that is the kicker. As the implementation of the eventual FSD has improved, the cost has increased. The dilemma is whether to buy an immature FSD-capability now at the current price, or wait until it is more mature and a higher price.

For most people, you will not have the car when or if FSD ever happens. If the FSD followed the driver not the car, it would make more sense.

For most people, you will not have the car when or if FSD ever happens. If the FSD followed the driver not the car, it would make more sense.

I understand the logic of this, but I don’t agree that “it makes more sense”. I think it makes less sense for an option to be attached to an owner, not a vehicle. I bought optional red exterior, but that colour is attached to the car, not to me. Similarly, I bought optional FSD-capability for the car. The FSD-capability is part of the car, not part of me.

If FSD-capability were attached to the person, purchasers would essentially be locked in to owning a Tesla. With the FSD-capability being attached to the car, I could sell my SR+ with FSD-capability, and expect a higher price for my car. I could then buy another Tesla, or I could buy a different brand.

Imagine the outrage if buyers of FSD-capability decided to buy a non-Tesla car and therefore had no use for the FSD-capability, but because FSD-capability were attached to the person, not the car, the person lost the value of having purchased FSD-capability.

I just ordered my model y and obviously fsd is an option.
I know the price may change but does it cost more to upgrade it after the purchase?
If you get a loan, including FSD in the original price allow you to include it in the loan, but you pay interest for it.

For you car insurance, it might be simpler to have FSD included in the price of the car in case your car get totaled.
Otherwise if you buy it separately, you might have to declare FSD an an accessory and you might have to pay an extra for it.

For some people, they buy FSD later using a credit card to get some mileage from it.

Also, in some states there might be car max value to get a tax incentive.

I understand the logic of this, but I don’t agree that “it makes more sense”. I think it makes less sense for an option to be attached to an owner, not a vehicle. I bought optional red exterior, but that colour is attached to the car, not to me. Similarly, I bought optional FSD-capability for the car. The FSD-capability is part of the car, not part of me.

If FSD-capability were attached to the person, purchasers would essentially be locked in to owning a Tesla. With the FSD-capability being attached to the car, I could sell my SR+ with FSD-capability, and expect a higher price for my car. I could then buy another Tesla, or I could buy a different brand.

Imagine the outrage if buyers of FSD-capability decided to buy a non-Tesla car and therefore had no use for the FSD-capability, but because FSD-capability were attached to the person, not the car, the person lost the value of having purchased FSD-capability.

When I buy a software licence for Microsoft office it is not attached to the computer. I can buy a new computer and transfer the licence to the new computer. The operating system stays with the computer (That is the built in software to make the car function). FSD is like an add-on licence and should be transferable.

When I buy a software licence for Microsoft office it is not attached to the computer. I can buy a new computer and transfer the licence to the new computer. The operating system stays with the computer (That is the built in software to make the car function). FSD is like an add-on licence and should be transferable.
you have a point, but the computer you buy is not a microsoft computer.

Reactions: gbertsch
There's no way FSD would be justified right now, so if you are trying to see if any extra function from FSD enabled cars are worth the 10k, short answer is no. Other than summon and of course NavonAP, I hardly ever used any other function. Oh... and my car had HW2.5... so the upgrade to HW3 was cherry on top, but that's not something one'd consider today.

But, my reasoning was simple. I support the cause and can't wait for it to arrive one day. And I plan to drive my 3 until it bites the dust, which I define as it no longer makes financial sense to keep it. Given how EVs, and more specifically Tesla are designed, my 3 would probably last quite a while.

It's the perfect vehicle for our daily commute (usually no more than 50km... 100km on occasion), even with battery degradation factoring into, the SR+ would still be perfect for another 10yrs easy.

Base on that, and how FSD will keep going up in price, until it eventually becomes a subscription... then I think buying it outright today that's attached to the car... that's going to last 10+yrs... the cost is justifiable.

A FSD-less Tesla IMO is not the full Tesla experience. If you are just buying a good EV... no need to get FSD... if you want to have absolute EVERYTHING a Tesla has to offer, then, not getting the FSD would never get you that experience. Same as the 4k+2k (IIRC) I first paid for my BMW to have Nav and Xenon headlights. I don't use them daily... but definitely nice to have when I want to use them. And that was the full BMW experience I was looking, instead of buying a 4-banger car with BMW badge on it.

You are correct of course regarding computers, but the computer marketplace is very different from the automobile marketplace generally, even more different from the BEV marketplace, and more different still from Tesla.

Many, many brands of computers can use MS . You could select from a myriad of computer manufacturers and use the MS Office that you bought. You could build your own computer and use the MS Office.

The opposite is true of the automobile, BEV, and Tesla marketplace. You cannot build your own car and use FSD. You cannot downgrade to a Kia or upgrade to a Lamborghini and use FSD-capability. For all I know, you can’t use a TM3-bought FSD-capability and use it on a Tesla Roadster.

Most people I know replace their computers far more often than their vehicles. I typically keep a vehicle 10-20 years. I expect to be driving my TM3 a minimum of 10 years and hope to be driving it 20 years from now. Imagine using a 10-20 year old computer! Because of the rapid turnover of computers, it is important that software be transferable.

I appreciate the logic of the FSD-capability being attached to the purchaser, not the vehicle. As an FSD-capability owner, I think it is better the way it is.

Last edited:
FSD, when or if it really become available, will also be available on a subscription model. I expect Tesla to stop selling FSD and simply moving to this model once if does come out. Pretty much all software is subscription model these days

Questions:
- If you bought FSD and total your car, will insurance give you the value back, or a portion, if so what %? Also the cost of FSD varies a lot based on when you purchased it. It would suck to pay for FSD after 2 year your car gets totaled and they only credit you a portion of FSD value (ie depreciated value), If you have EAP like on mine, there is 0 value in FSD except the future dream. I would hold off buying this
- If you lease the car from Tesla, do they include FSD into the depreciation? That would really suck

People have different needs. I bought a Tesla because it had FSD. In the month since I took delivery I'm able to drive places I haven't been able to for 16 years because of panic attacks. Literally changed my life. I'd spend $16k for that.

Aside from the panic attacks, highway driving is so much more relaxing and honestly, safer. It's what makes a Tesla what it is, to me. Everything else, being an EV, speed, and handling are just cherry on top. Autopilot makes the car.

But thats just me. And yes, get it on your loan, not your credit card, imo.

(before the obligatory AP vs EAP vs FSD post ... EAP is not an option for a loan purchase, and FSD hardware will make HW2.5 obsolete TOMORROW (not a figure of speech, it'll happen tomorrow/Tuesday).

And yes, of course the price will go up. At least $2k by years end, I'd say.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I got a message from the sales guy. He said the price was going up 2,000 by Monday. Yet the tweet Elon responded to said it was only going up in the US. Either way I'm still thinking of passing. My drive is 99% highway and AP works for that.