Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Price increasing May 1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If history has taught us a lesson in the past two months, it's that the price for FSD will likely go down.
Ignore what Elon has said about appreciating asset, my friends, it ain't happening. At least not until you and I are in need of a newer car (years later). The regulatory obstacles it faces for Robo Taxi.......
Now if you have the cash to spare and would like FSD feature as soon as it's released, then there's nothing stopping you. With that said, I have a feeling FSD price will drop with a fire sale in the future.

If history has taught us a lesson in the past two months, it's that the price for FSD will likely go down.
Ignore what Elon has said about appreciating asset, my friends, it ain't happening. At least not until you and I are in need of a newer car (years later). The regulatory obstacles it faces for Robo Taxi.......
Now if you have the cash to spare and would like FSD feature as soon as it's released, then there's nothing stopping you. With that said, I have a feeling FSD price will drop with a fire sale in the future.

I wish we could afford it right now, but I keep telling myself that waiting until June 31st at the earliest is a good strategy to get a deal.

Actually on March 1st the price of FSD was dropped for a short period of time to $2,000 for those who already had EAD. Today that price is $5,000. If the last two months has taught us anything, it is that the cost of FSD went UP. Or, if you wanted to forget the sale, stayed stable...

Reactions: preilly44
Actually on March 1st the price of FSD was dropped for a short period of time to $2,000 for those who already had EAD. Today that price is $5,000. If the last two months has taught us anything, it is that the cost of FSD went UP. Or, if you wanted to forget the sale, stayed stable...
You're right that it went up from the fire sale price, but I'd think most people understood that I meant the price will likely go down from the current level.
I could be wrong, but if I'm running a company that wants to sign up as many people as possible for my robo-taxi fleet, I would lower the price of FSD to attract more people to sign up. This is the condition of Robo-taxi happening.
Now if Robo-taxi is not happening.. 5k to upgrade to FSD amounts to approximately 10% (+- few % depending on the trim). We all know cars depreciate in value, 5k in FSD will also depreciate in value. Imagine car A with FSD costs 50k total, car B costs 45k without FSD, just AP. Both cars are selling 1 year later (this takes account the realization on Elon's announcement of FSD by end of the year). Assuming 20% depreciation (People say that you lose 20% of car's value the moment you drive it off the lot, but I'm giving Tesla a huge edge in value retention), Car A demands 50k*(1-0.2)=40k, do we think car B will be selling for 40k-5k=35k? Unlikely, it'll probably be 45k*(1-0.2)=36k. So base on depreciation, FSD already lost 1k in value in one year, right around the start of FSD.

Of course, it's all speculation, and I'd love to see Elon proves me wrong. If Robo taxi is a reality, I might just do it.

So I bought AP with my Model 3 in March 2019. I am regretting bypassing FSD for $5K especially now that they are announcing a price increase. Is anyone in the same boat looking to pull the trigger at $7K before 5/1?
$7K is a lot of money already, what are the chances they walk this down to $5K again if the demand isn’t there?

I'm in the exact same boat. I was so scared of the price increase I completely forgot to use a referral link and could not add it afterwards. I'm hoping that FSD will be offered for < than the $7K its currently being offered at but afraid they will raise it even higher.

I'm in the exact same boat. I was so scared of the price increase I completely forgot to use a referral link and could not add it afterwards. I'm hoping that FSD will be offered for < than the $7K its currently being offered at but afraid they will raise it even higher.

In general, if you can comfortably afford FSD right now and can benefit from the current feature set (NOA, Summon, Autopark), then purchase it. If you would be putting yourself in financial jeopardy to make the purchase, it can wait. $7,000 is a lot of money right now, and even if it might go up to $10,000 or so by May 1st, you may be in a much better financial situation in 6-12 months.

I'm feeling really pressured right now as well, but we would have to absolutely smash our piggy bank to make it happen before May 1st, and I'm not going to subject myself to that when any number of financial emergencies could crop up and bankrupt me.

All that being said, to people who haven't taken delivery yet, it may be worth adding the software to your order, since you could roll it into your loan and amortize it that way!

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
But... but.... it's all still just promises! I don't think Elon is a liar or a jerk, but I'm not going to put down $7K or more until this thing is for real. I go to rural trail races where the roads have zero markings and aren't wide enough for two cars to pass without one of them stopping (or quite nearly stopping) and pulling aside -- especially with the large pickups that are common in those areas. (But not far enough aside to fall into the inevitable gutter.) When's FSD going to handle that? At night, in a heavy rain or snow, in the bright sun? I'm also skeptical about some of the rural roads with overgrown trees and brush and 4-way intersections with stop signs on one road but not the other. People are talking about how the car angled itself to point its cameras, but human drivers lean way forward to try to see what the heck is coming, and the cameras are fixed in position and height, so there's a limit to how much their perspective can improve.

I'm not ready to say these problems are unsolvable, and I saw great progress yesterday, but I don't buy that "it'll drive you anywhere" is a year away.

I also wonder how long I'll keep this car. Its predecessor was a 1998, but I get a new computer every year or two, and the Model 3 is starting to feel closer to the latter than the former. Will there be a new car by the time the Tesla Network is for real?

Anyway, to each their own, but I'm stretching for Performance not for FSD.

I also forgot to use a referral code in much the same frame of mind as you. There are a few threads that discuss or mention how to retroactively get a referral code applied after placing order. Anyhow $30-40 of free supercharging is not the end of the world.

If you don't have FSD or purchase it before May 1st I would expect that if you want it in the future.
You could pay the current FSD price plus the cost of a 3.0 HW Computer swap
OR
It could be offered on a subscription bases. Like purchasing new maps every year for your GPS except
if you don't FSD gets disabled due to safety concerns.

But I could be wrong......
They might just give a $7K option away for free :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you don't have FSD or purchase it before May 1st I would expect that if you want it in the future.
You could pay the current FSD price plus the cost of a 3.0 HW Computer swap
OR
It could be offered on a subscription bases. Like purchasing new maps every year for your GPS except
if you don't FSD gets disabled due to safety concerns.

But I could be wrong......

You are.

FSD=Free HW3 upgrade.

It's literally listed as coming with the purchase- which it has to be since the product doesn't fully work without it- and Elon has made it clear buying FSD gets you the HW upgrade free, long term.

You are.

FSD=Free HW3 upgrade.

It's literally listed as coming with the purchase- which it has to be since the product doesn't fully work without it- and Elon has made it clear buying FSD gets you the HW upgrade free, long term.

No

I said the New Improved After May 1 HIGHER price could be the Combination of the Current FSD cost + The cost of an HW3 swap.
Or A subscription Service

Nothing More

And I get that FSD NOW comes with the PROMISE of HW3 or an HW3 swap on the Model 3.

Time will tell.

Yes :)

I said the New Improved After May 1 HIGHER price could be the Combination of the Current FSD cost + The cost of an HW3 swap.
Or A subscription Service

And I get that FSD NOW comes with the PROMISE of HW3 or an HW3 swap on the Model 3.

Time will tell.

No, we already know.

FSD is going up about $1000 May 1 (per Musk earlier today- amount may vary by country though due to taxes/exchange rates). No subscriptions involved.

Regardless of if you have HW3 in the car or not (current builds have HW3 already- price is the same for them as HW2.x cars).

And it'll still come with the HW3 upgrade included free for anyone on HW2.x now, and will continue to do so long term, per Musk.