Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Price increasing May 1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do ppl actually think transport regulatories are going to allow vehicles with FSD to drive, driverless within the next few short years.
I don't think so , if I touch my cellphone I'll get a distracted driving ticket. If I'm not behind the steering wheel, I'll get a careless driving ticket .
Personally as much as I embrace this tech. No way am I going to be comfortable with a driverless vehicle coming towards me.
If that driverless vehicle causes a fatality, who gets sued the registered owner or Tesla?
I guess Elon is prepared for massive lawsuits.
People need to look at the big picture, ones insurance will skyrocket because the possibility of a person allowing it to operate driverless.

Yes :)

No, we already know.

FSD is going up about $1000 May 1 (per Musk earlier today- amount may vary by country though due to taxes/exchange rates). No subscriptions involved.

Regardless of if you have HW3 in the car or not (current builds have HW3 already- price is the same for them as HW2.x cars).

And it'll still come with the HW3 upgrade included free for anyone on HW2.x now, and will continue to do so long term, per Musk.

Well if Elon say it......:rolleyes:

Do ppl actually think transport regulatories are going to allow vehicles with FSD to drive, driverless within the next few short years. I don't think so

They already do so today in some states.

As long as the driving system can obey all traffic laws/rules of the road it can drive the car today

, if I touch my cellphone I'll get a distracted driving ticket. If I'm not behind the steering wheel, I'll get a careless driving ticket

Also no.

Colorado for example allows a person to use an automated driving system to drive or control a function of a motor vehicle if the system is capable of complying with every state and federal law that applies to the function that the system is operatin

Florida permits operation of autonomous vehicles on public roads by individuals with a valid driver license, and does not even require the driver to be IN the car.

Georiga they even exempted a person operating an automated motor vehicle with the automated driving system engaged from the requirement to hold a driver's license.

North Carolina specifies that a driver’s license is not required for an AV operator- in fact they only require an adult be in the vehicle if a person under 12 is also in the vehicle.

Tennessee specifies that ADS-operated vehicles are exempt from licensing requirements. Permits ADS-operated vehicles on streets and highways in the state without a driver in the vehicle if it meets certain conditions.

And more out there (and a LOT more that allow some form of platooning- which Elon mentioned would likely be the first nationally-allowed FSD type system)

People need to look at the big picture, ones insurance will skyrocket because the possibility of a person allowing it to operate driverless.

Given it's expected self-driving cars will have accidents at much lower rates than humans- none of that makes any sense at all.

Insurance companies don't care if the driver was human or not- they care who gets into more accidents.

if I touch my cellphone I'll get a distracted driving ticket. If I'm not behind the steering wheel, I'll get a careless driving ticket .

No.
[...]
Bonus Irony. I just noticed you are in Ontario.

Guess what?

Self-driving cars are now allowed on Ontario streets

In fairness, maybe you should actually read the article you linked to:

"In all cases, a vehicle's driver remains responsible for obeying all existing traffic rules in Ontario—including distracted, careless and impaired driving laws—and is legally responsible for the car's safe operation."

In fairness, maybe you should actually read the article you linked to:

"In all cases, a vehicle's driver remains responsible for obeying all existing traffic rules in Ontario—including distracted, careless and impaired driving laws—and is legally responsible for the car's safe operation."

I did read it.

Closer than you it appears.

The bit you quote was about people driving manufacturer test cars- not regular drivers in production cars.

There's TWO changes happening.

Here- let me quote you the relevant parts-

The actual article said:
First off, regular citizens can only drive automated vehicles that engineers have classified as a Level 3. This type of "eyes off" conditional automation lets a car manage most critical driving functions, but still requires a human to serve as co-pilot and be ready to take control of the vehicle at any time.

That's part 1. For regular drivers in production cars.

Part 2 is about a DIFFERENT group of cars/drivers-

The article again said:
As of January 1, approved auto manufacturers, tech companies, universities, research institutions and systems manufacturers are allowed to test vehicles up to automation Level 5 — capable of being completely driverless in all conditions without the need for a human.

Participants in the pilot program must first be approved by the government, of course, and can only test vehicles owned by their own company.

In all cases, a vehicle's driver remains responsible for obeying all existing traffic rules in Ontario—including distracted, careless and impaired driving laws—and is legally responsible for the car's safe operation.

"We're cutting red tape for Ontario universities, companies, and others involved in automated vehicles," said Transportation Minister Jeff Yurekthis week while speaking about the pilot in Waterloo.

So TEST vehicle drivers, enrolled in the pilot program for TEST vehicles, have the bit you quoted out of context going on. Since obviously pre-release TEST vehicles need more attention paid to them.

It's certainly possible the writer of the story is wrong- but he's pretty clear in the story these are separate sets of rules for separate circumstances/cars/class of driver... if you want to dig into Ontario driving regs to clarify by all means you can.... fact remains lots of other jurisdictions (including many US states) already allow vehicles with NO driver today.

I guess it depends on whether "in all cases" means "in all cases" or, I guess, something else. :)

It's a question of does it mean "in all cases" of the "auto manufacturers, tech companies, universities, research institutions and systems manufacturers" that part of the story is specifically talking about.... Or "all cases" of everyone including the L3 cars for regular drivers it discussed elsewhere that specifically mentions "eyes off" driving.... (and if it meant that why would it mention eyes-off at all?)

More crystal clear messaging from Elon.

Actually appears to have a good reason this time....

UK Model 3 order page goes live next week, followed shortly thereafter by Japan, Australia, New Zealand & Hong Kong

If they'd done the price bump May 1 all those countries would've missed the chance to buy at the cheaper price.

It's May 2nd and the price in the USA is still $5K.

So much for the promised price increase.

Promise #1 - By thousands
Promise #2 - By a thousand
Promise #3 - "We will delay $1k full self-driving option price increase until May 10 for those unable to order by May 1"
Reality - Price still the same for people able to order before May 1st.

Reaction - Puts Elon on Mute