Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Price increasing May 1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought our rear-wheel drive extended range Tesla Model 3 in August 2018 and ponied up for the EAP upgrade to standard AP. Ever since then, when I log on my Tesla account and look at software upgrades available for purchase, I've seen the FSD option priced at $5,000. I heard a rumor toward the end of March that Tesla had lowered the price to $2,000 so I logged on to look and, sure enough, it showed it for $2,000. I discussed it with my wife as I was sorely tempted to do the upgrade. She was less convinced, saying Full Self Driving was not available anywhere in the USA and who knows when/if it will ever be. After debating this back and forth for several days, she said fine, let's go ahead and get the upgrade, since we'll also get new/upgraded hardware related to FSD when it becomes available. So I logged back on but by now it was about April 2 or 3 and I saw that the $2,000 FSD upgrade was gone and now it was showing $5,000 again. I did a little research and found that the lowered price for FSD was a mistake that had been made and that Tesla corrected. I was super bummed!

Now here it is nearing mid-May and when I log on my Tesla account, I see that the FSD upgrade has increased in price from $5,000 to $6,000. Ouch! That puts it even further out of reach. It kind of seems like Tesla is trying to discourage owners that didn't already pony up for FSD from upgrading by making the option pricier and pricier. Which is really too bad.

I guess some would retort, "Well, if you snooze, you lose," or "He/she who hesitates is lost."

Sigh.

Actually that $2,000 price in early March was not a mistake. It was a short sale...(seriously). I am sorry that you missed it. Many of us on here took advantage of that pricing if for no other reason than to ensure that we get HW3...

When has anyone, ever, gotten 100% back on what they paid in a new car for an option when selling that car used?
Exactly.
FSD is not useable. What we have now is autopilot.
FSD is full self driving from point a to point b.
Paying $6000 for FSD and never having to use it for a single day and selling the car and maybe getting $2000 for it is the worst outcome.

Exactly.
FSD is not useable. What we have now is autopilot.
FSD is full self driving from point a to point b.
Paying $6000 for FSD and never having to use it for a single day and selling the car and maybe getting $2000 for it is the worst outcome.

I ponied up because I still had the pre-price increase option in May and didn't want to pay a penalty. I am really on the fence about how much functionality I will really get it out of it. Forget robo taxis, if it can at least get to the point of dropping off family members maybe we can reduce our car count from 5 to 2. That would be a HUGE savings!

Actually that $2,000 price in early March was not a mistake. It was a short sale...(seriously). I am sorry that you missed it. Many of us on here took advantage of that pricing if for no other reason than to ensure that we get HW3...

And I would have done the same, had I learned about it in time. Oh well. For now, I can only hope that a sale will return at some point at a price point I'm willing to pay. $6,000 is definitely more than I'm willing to pay right now. I know E.M. has said the price for FSD will continue to be increased as time moves on, but I'm really hoping my wife turns out to be correct with her assessment: "How many new technologies don't get less expensive over time, not more expensive?"

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
At $6K, FSD is still more expensive than it was when I originally bought the car ($5K). I didn’t think it was worth it then, and haven’t changed my mind. $3K is where I would pull the trigger but I am not sure if it ever gets there. I do have Autopilot and I hope that customers that have purchased that get discounted prices on FSD at some point in the future.

And I would have done the same, had I learned about it in time. Oh well. For now, I can only hope that a sale will return at some point at a price point I'm willing to pay. $6,000 is definitely more than I'm willing to pay right now. I know E.M. has said the price for FSD will continue to be increased as time moves on, but I'm really hoping my wife turns out to be correct with her assessment: "How many new technologies don't get less expensive over time, not more expensive?"

Your wife is likely wrong in this case. The technology will get even “newer.” This is not a standard - iPhone is a year old so will get cheaper - scenario. Software is expensive.

We’ll see, of course, but I fully expect FSD to get more expensive, as it should.

AP was $4K two weeks ago (post delivery). Now it is $3K.

FSD was $8,000 last month (post delivery), then $6,500 last week, and now $6K.

The technology may get better over time, but even at $6K they may have a hard time getting people who didn’t take the option at delivery to pay this much after the fact.