Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD refund on a lease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD became an option ($3,000 originally, later $5,000) beginning in October 2016. Has anyone had luck asking Tesla for a refund of FSD upon maturity of their 24- or 36-month lease? If so, how is it calculated? I would imagine it would be a prorated/residualized amount since, on a lease, you pay for about 40 to 50 percent of the cost of an option, plus a finance charge and tax. While I wouldn't expect a FSD refund on a purchased car, it doesn't seem fair to pay for an option that didn't exist over the course of the lease.

Thanks,
Michael

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
I think the Tesla fine print covers them, since it was stated from the get-go that you may never get it. At least on a lease, you only paid $1500 or less (by increasing your purchase price by $3K, you increased the residual by whatever percentage of the $3K, ~50% for 2 year lease) - the leasing company paid for the other half. Unless of course you purchased it as an upgrade after you already leased the car, they you're out the entire amount.

You seem to think that a leased car is something special. In reality, it's a car that is sold to a leasing agency and then you rent it for a specified term and it is then sent to auction.

If anything, you could maybe use it as an excuse to lower the cost on a new lease/car