Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Right Scroll Wheel Speed Adjustment Inconsistency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2024 MX running FSD 12.3.6 with relative selected and 5 mph offset When cruising in FDS on a multilane highway with a speed limit of 65 mph, the right scroll wheel up/down will change the car's speed at 1 mph per click - as I would expect. However, on a 2 lane road with a posted 40 mph speed limit, FSD goes 50 mph without any change from the right scroll wheel. Being unable to reduce the 10 mph over the posted speed limit results in my intervening and shutting off FSD. Why does the right scroll wheel adjust FSD speed at posted 65 mph and not at posted 40 mph?

I have a 2024 MX running FSD 12.3.6 with relative selected and 5 mph offset When cruising in FDS on a multilane highway with a speed limit of 65 mph, the right scroll wheel up/down will change the car's speed at 1 mph per click - as I would expect. However, on a 2 lane road with a posted 40 mph speed limit, FSD goes 50 mph without any change from the right scroll wheel. Being unable to reduce the 10 mph over the posted speed limit results in my intervening and shutting off FSD. Why does the right scroll wheel adjust FSD speed at posted 65 mph and not at posted 40 mph?
When you are on the two lane road, does it say speed "auto" on the ICD? That is an optional setting inside autopilot. I had to turn autospeed off in the settings, simply so I could slow down to 25 mph, for school zones. Speed auto would rip me past that zone at 45 or even 50 mph.

When you turn it off, it reads the speed limit signs and sets the speed appropriately, and it gives you the ability to set the speed manually.

I think @DCGOO probably nailed it. On the highway it uses the V11 stack, and there is always a maximum speed listed that you can control. On surface streets when the V12 stack is used you can have the Auto Speed option selected. (In that mode it shows AUTO/MAX, but behind the scenes it sets the maximum to 150% of the speed limit, then it only goes as fast as it thinks is appropriate. (I had to turn it off because it just goes too fast on some streets.)

I have a 2024 MX running FSD 12.3.6 with relative selected and 5 mph offset
FSD doesn't support a MPH based offset, only a percentage. (You can thank NHTSA for that.)

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
I think @DCGOO probably nailed it. On the highway it uses the V11 stack, and there is always a maximum speed listed that you can control. On surface streets when the V12 stack is used you can have the Auto Speed option selected. (In that mode it shows AUTO/MAX, but behind the scenes it sets the maximum to 150% of the speed limit, then it only goes as fast as it thinks is appropriate. (I had to turn it off because it just goes too fast on some streets.)

FSD doesn't support a MPH based offset, only a percentage. (You can thank NHTSA for that.)
MP3Mike, Yes, that was my problem! "Auto speed offset" was on and now that it's off FSD speed is now controllable on 2 lane roads. FSD also now more closely chooses a speed closer to the posted limit. Thank you for solving my problem!

When you are on the two lane road, does it say speed "auto" on the ICD? That is an optional setting inside autopilot. I had to turn autospeed off in the settings, simply so I could slow down to 25 mph, for school zones. Speed auto would rip me past that zone at 45 or even 50 mph.

When you turn it off, it reads the speed limit signs and sets the speed appropriately, and it gives you the ability to set the speed manually.
DCGOO, Yes, that was the problem! Thank you for solving a frustrating issue in FSD! I was thinking of ditching FSD because of this problem, but now I think I might subscribe!