Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD upgrade from EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I very much doubt they've put that much thought into the process, honestly. I'd fully expect them to still try to charge $5k and getting them to change it might take a long time.

There's no real reason to upgrade if you have EAP already though, the stop signs and stop lights functionality is "meh" at best and we're a long way from the autosteer on city streets functionality being released.

On my account, I can upgrade to FSD for $5K. If I decide to pay for the computer upgrade $1K and not sign up for FSD, will the full upgrade be down to $4K?
If you buy FSD, the hardware update to HW3 is included. Always has been that way. Some people even got upgraded to HW3 when having non-related work at a service center.

Your method does not comply with the first sentence above. Sorry, $5k for you.

I asked this same question in a chat with Tesla, apparently it would be $4k, although I am waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig... See below.

FSD Conversation.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Let's Drive
I think the $2k sale was two years ago. Visualizations include traffic lights, stop signs, trash barrels, cones, road markings (e.g., turn arrows and railroad crossings). Nothing that helps you drive.
With the recent announcement of FSD price increase, do you think it’s worth at least getting the HW3 for FSD right away? I have a M3 with EAP and don’t really “need” FSD but am thinking it’s worth spending the $1k to get the hardware that may help my EAP, and I can have the subscription for FSD set to “pause” until it’s truly ready to be “door to door”. Do you think it’s worth the hardware upgrade right now? Thanks!

With the recent announcement of FSD price increase, do you think it’s worth at least getting the HW3 for FSD right away? I have a M3 with EAP and don’t really “need” FSD but am thinking it’s worth spending the $1k to get the hardware that may help my EAP, and I can have the subscription for FSD set to “pause” until it’s truly ready to be “door to door”. Do you think it’s worth the hardware upgrade right now? Thanks!
As I responded in July, I don't personally think the HW3 upgrade is worthwhile unless you also subscribe to FSD. I didn't find that HW3 improved AP performance when I upgraded, so you're not getting much benefit from the upgrade.

It's true that HW3 hasn't improved AP up to this point, but what about after this "single stack" software update goes out next month (or whenever that turns out to be after converting from Elon-time)? If the AP experience improves for those with HW3 but not those with HW2/2.5, it might be worth upgrading for $1000. But then again, why should we (again, speaking for those of us with HW2/2.5) have to pay to upgrade when our cars were advertised as having hardware fully capable of FSD at purchase? And besides AP, other functionality (including smart summon and autopark, both included in EAP) have plenty of room for improvement that new software might provide in conjunction with HW3.

And at this point, HW3 is going on 4 years old in the wild now. Maybe if we wait 6 months to a year we'll be able to get HW4 installed as an upgrade. Will those with HW3 get a free upgrade to HW4? Maybe only those who paid in full for FSD? What about those that paid $1000 to upgrade their hardware? It's all as clear as mud.

Last edited:
As I responded in July, I don't personally think the HW3 upgrade is worthwhile unless you also subscribe to FSD. I didn't find that HW3 improved AP performance when I upgraded, so you're not getting much benefit from the upgrade.
Yah I’m just thinking perhaps it’s worth just getting the hardware 3 for the $1k given the price increase. That way I’ve future proofed it to some extent. And that way once FSD is decent and better than EAP, I can activate the subscription whenever I want. So given this thought process I’m wondering if I should do the upgrade or would it still not be worth it? Thanks for your help / advice

R u saying ...FSD computer upgrade only (noFSD SUBSCRIPTION)...only get you visual?

The visuals don't work w my EAP...like stop at a stop sign...so purely for looks?
Which car do you have? Your signature says 2015 Model S 70, but you can’t have EAP on that car, only AP1. And you can’t upgrade the AP computer in that car.

Assuming you actually have a newer car, upgrading the computer to HW3 (FSD) without buying or subscribing to the FSD option will only get you the visualization changes I listed, no new driving functionality.

2108 model X w eap
Ap2.5 mcu2
Thanks for confirming. As discussed above, paying to upgrade the computer without also getting FSD isn’t going to get you much. The visualizations are nice, but you already have most of the FSD driver assistance features in EAP.

I did upgrade both of our 2018 Teslas from EAP to FSD shortly after taking delivery, but at the time the upgrade was a lot cheaper than it is now. If at some point you decide you want FSD, I think it would make more sense for you to pay for the computer upgrade and subscribe, rather than buy FSD outright, especially if you don’t plan to keep the car for a long time.